What's new

How do you get past the smell of witch hazel?

I often wonder if thayers smells like the stuff we buy over here in the uk, which although is not great but not that bad and does not seem to stick around for long.

I put a couple of drops of Lavender essential oil in with my Dickinson's Witch Hazel and that pretty much took care of the witch hazel scent.

Those of you that use thayer's, what version do you use? I'm torn between the lavender and the rose petal.
I have the Lavender.

I got that because I was on Lavender kick a few months ago, so the choice was simple. I'm not sure if the Rose has any medicinal value, or if it just adds an aroma. If so, I didn't want to smell like roses.

If you like the scent of lavender you should like Thayer's lavender just fine. I don't much, so I've tried Rose and Superhazel. Rose smells like rosewater, I like it fine. I'm partial to the Superhazel though, I like the strong combination of peppermint and clove.

I use generic Witch Hazel on my head after shaving it. The smell goes after it dries. Besides the Corn Huskers Lotion tend to overshadow it:001_tongu

Im very use to the smell!... Reminds me of the days sitting at the dinner table with a friend's father drinking a very strong batch of Rakija (Croatian version of a Grappa)

I often wonder if thayers smells like the stuff we buy over here in the uk, which although is not great but not that bad and does not seem to stick around for long.

I suspect what you're describing is plain old witch hazel. I'm amazed at the repulsion some people feel for this this product. It's really pretty benign.

-Chris

At first, I found it to be kind of funky. Now it just reminds me of brined green olives, which isn't horrible, and it disappears pretty quickly anyway. I thought about Thayer's, but considering the fact that it's around 6-7 times more expensive than the generic stuff, I don't think it's worth it for me.

Dickinson's Witch Hazel scent doesn't seam to last long at all to me, I use it every shave and it doesn't conflict with your aftershave or cologne.

I bought a bottle of Dickensons Witch Hazel today at walmart. I opened to bottle when I got home and was greeted with a wicked stentch. Everyone here talks about how they love this stuff, but I'm not sure that I will be able to get used to the smell, in order to actually apply it to my face.

It took me a few uses of it to grow accustomed to the scent of medicinal witch hazel. I used Thayers scented WH's for a while, but now I almost exclusively use the cheap drug store medicinal stuff.

The scent is quite surprising the first time you encounter it. Well, at least it was to me. I think it is natural to at first be wary of unusual scents. After I had a chance to get used to it -- only a few days -- I appreciated that it was very earthy and natural and I no longer find it unpleasant at all. I actually like it. But everything in it's place -- I wouldn't try to use it as a perfume.

Hate Dickinson's due to smell (cat pee).

Been using Thayer's Original as aftershave for both face and head for a couple of years, and wouldn't be without it. The small amount of grain alcohol in this does not burn or dry me out.

proxy.php

Top Bottom