What's new

It is official - people on eBay are crazy!

Seriously though, he's a quality straight razor source. Nice clean razors with a good edge. While he's the butt of some jokes, his straight razors are serious business.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Is Bidding While Intoxicated a crime? I wouldn't even suggest a shill

Damn early bidders...even if your argument is that you would have placed a 150 dollar bid at the beginning regardless of where the price goes, it's still stupid to bid early. Why? Because whatever max price you set on an item early on becomes a psychological target for other crazy bidders. So if someone had set a 140 dollar top bid early on in this auction, it would have likely changed the course of the auction. Not saying it's guaranteed, but you can see how often prices go up because of people aiming for a high bid...

Seriously though, he's a quality straight razor source. Nice clean razors with a good edge. While he's the butt of some jokes, his straight razors are serious business.

I have to disagree with you, Paul. He KNOWINGLY sold me a straight with a bent toe without disclosing that fact. Poor quality product and deceptive trade practices have not endeared him to me.

I have to disagree with you, Paul. He KNOWINGLY sold me a straight with a bent toe without disclosing that fact. Poor quality product and deceptive trade practices have not endeared him to me.

Sorry to hear that. That's the only story of that nature that I've heard from him. He's got 1264 100% feedback on his profile, so it's most like not the norm... Did you try to get him to remedy the situation? Also, he takes a ton of pics normally it's odd that you didn't pick up on that prior to buying...

Sorry to hear that. That's the only story of that nature that I've heard from him. He's got 1264 100% feedback on his profile, so it's most like not the norm... Did you try to get him to remedy the situation? Also, he takes a ton of pics normally it's odd that you didn't pick up on that prior to buying...

He did refund my money and accepted the return of the razor. It was during our eBay PM conversations arranging for the return that he said "I too noticed the damaged toe upon receiving it from a consignment customer"... and this was prior to shipping it to me.

After he got the razor back, in another email to me he said "I can't believe I missed that toe. I was SHOCKED when I looked at it. I figured I'd have to get a jewler's loop to see the bend, but as you know, it could easily be seen with the naked eye. Sorry about that. Selling this many razors, guess I'm bound to
miss something".

He changed his story. It's not like he was telling me one thing and something different to the next guy and we caught him by comparing notes. He contradicts himself in direct communication with me. I am getting to that age when my memory begins to fail and I am new to straight razors.

But don't **** down my back and tell me it's raining!!

IMO he has no integrity and no honor.

I gave him a positive rating because he gave me my money back. Nonetheless, his business practices are questionable if not dishonest.

Paul, you are more experienced than I am when it comes to straights and I respect your opinion. Tell me, can you spot the bent toe from these photos? They are from his listing. He did disclose the OBVIOUS hone wear on the edge of the toe.

EDIT: And another thing. These photos use the same waffled mat as a background that appears in his other listings for DE's and straights. This tells me it is Quinton or someone under his direct supervision that takes all of the pics for all of his listings. He receives goods from consignment customers and then photographs them for the listing on eBay. He saw the bad toe when got the razor from his consignment customer. Connect the dots.

Last edited:
Tell me how? What do you see that tips you off?

It's two months later and I still can't tell from these pics.

Look at the toe in the first 3 pics, there is a pretty obvious curve where the bend is (especially obvious in the 3rd pic). The 1st and 3rd pic seem the most obvious. It also appears to be scratched pretty heavily there too. That bend is down towards the mat. The 4th pic looks pretty clearly bent up away from the mat in the same spot, but the 5th pic doesn't show anything that gives it away.

Look at the toe in the first 3 pics, there is a pretty obvious curve where the bend is (especially obvious in the 3rd pic). The 1st and 3rd pic seem the most obvious. It also appears to be scratched pretty heavily there too. That bend is down towards the mat. The 4th pic looks pretty clearly bent up away from the mat in the same spot, but the 5th pic doesn't show anything that gives it away.

Thanks. I'll pay better attention next time.

Tell me how? What do you see that tips you off?

It's two months later and I still can't tell from these pics.

To me, in these photos it looks like honing damage/marks to the toe and not a bend. I don't see it as obviously bent, but scratched up. (Of course, by knowing it is bent it perhaps becomes obvious - but hindsite can have wonderful illumination on any subject.) The actual camera illumination however leaves it looking scuffed up.

Regardless, it should have been properly disclosed in the auction. To indicate that he sells so many he merely missed this, suggests that he runs a sales factory and pays little attention to the quality and condition of the items he sells. However, it would appear by the number of photos typically used in his posts and the overall apparently good quality of the items posted, that he does pay attention. It becomes difficult to believe that this would not be noted.

If, on the other hand, it is indeed true that he missed this, I would be very cautious in future to believe anything in the listed item comments, as he must just write whatever seems like a good pitch, and not a reflection of reality. Either way, not good.

But, if he can generate the kind of prices he does on these items, his business is not really razors, his business is marketing. Perhaps on to the ShamWow II next?

Top Bottom