What's new

It begins...

Well, I decided to do it. I just ordered a Gold Dollar and a Filly strop from Rup Razor. I had been planning to wait and buy a Tony Miller and one of Seraphim's razors, but I got to thinking and decided I should probably get a starter kit first. I don't want to chop up one of the finest strops money can buy and dull the hell out of one of the razors that ultimately convinced me to give straight shaving a whirl.

Now I just have to make sure I perfect my technique before Seraphim decides to quit customizing razors and Tony retires from strop making. :biggrin:

I don't mean to be obtuse or disrespectful in any way, but you're aware that the Gold Dollar will need to be honed by a professional, right?

Other than that, good luck and great to see you've made the transition :)

I don't mean to be obtuse or disrespectful in any way, but you're aware that the Gold Dollar will need to be honed by a professional, right?

Other than that, good luck and great to see you've made the transition :)

KenRup hones all of his Gold Dollars. It is part of the package.

And thanks for the Kudos, Fixxxer

I looked around in here a bit before I pulled the trigger, just so I could make sure I got one that would really be shave ready. The combo from Rup Razor seemed to be fairly well regarded, particularly at that price point.

And thanks for the Kudos, Fixxxer

You're quite welcome sir, keep up the shenanigans!

After a delay in Ken's latest Gold Dollar shipment, my razor is finally here. To make up for the long wait, he gave me a lifetime honing honing warranty. Also, I didn't realize that Filly strops come with chromium oxide on the back to maintain the edge.

I just finished straight shave number 1. I'm happy I didn't cut myself, but it's quite clear my technique still sucks. It's the worst shave I've gotten in over a year. I'm not 100% sure on the sharpness of the Gold Dollar. I was unable to cut a hanging hair, but I suppose it could just be my hair. Should I do a few laps on the chromium oxide tomorrow?

I just finished straight shave number 1. I'm happy I didn't cut myself, but it's quite clear my technique still sucks. It's the worst shave I've gotten in over a year. I'm not 100% sure on the sharpness of the Gold Dollar. I was unable to cut a hanging hair, but I suppose it could just be my hair. Should I do a few laps on the chromium oxide tomorrow?

No.

Its probably your hair. Besides, I never use that test anyway. And, my shaves are silky smooth.

Anyway, give it another shot or two. The razor is cutting, which is good, you just need to learn to cut with it better. Its not like cutting anything you've ever cut before. Its more of a shearing action with only one blade.

Ok thanks Leighton. I intend to give it more than another shot or two, I'm determined to get good at it.

Shave number 2 may be a slight improvement, but still not nearly as close as I can get with a DE. The Speick splash stung a little more than usual, but I don't think it's as irritated as yesterday. I've had 2 fairly awful shaves with a straight, so why am I having so much damn fun with it? I already want to buy more straights and a set of hones.

Shave number 2 may be a slight improvement, but still not nearly as close as I can get with a DE. The Speick splash stung a little more than usual, but I don't think it's as irritated as yesterday. I've had 2 fairly awful shaves with a straight, so why am I having so much damn fun with it? I already want to buy more straights and a set of hones.

Doesn't sound like a bad shave to me........ :lol:

Well the result wasn't so hot, but I really enjoyed the process. :tongue_sm

It took me two full weeks of straights to get that "Eureka!" type of shave out of one. Now, 9 months later, I'm a lot better with a straight than I ever was any other type of shaving instrument, and I can get very smooth two-pass shaves in less than 10 minutes.

Of course, what's the fun in that? :lol:

Stick with it, it's the best decision you've made since switching to wetshaving, even if you don't know it yet.

And the razor came plenty sharp from Kenrup (I've had razors from him, Leighton, and Ray-man), but be careful not to botch that sweet edge through shoddy stropping, which is a mistake everyone makes at the beginning.

Keep us up to speed on your progress!

Shave number 3 seems to be getting closer. I was looking at my razor though, and noticed that the edge of the blade seems to have quite a few tiny dings in it. They're extremely small, but visible with the naked eye. Is it possible my poor technique has caused me to ding up my blade on my mighty whiskers?

Shave number four was better than the third, but still getting some irritation. I think I need more practice stretching the skin, but overall I think my technique is improving some.

Top Bottom