What's new

Anyone else only get 2 shaves per blade

I have been wet shaving for a few months and have tried the Walmart, Merkur, Derby, and Dorco DE blades. I usually get pretty reliable results on the 1st and 2nd shaves with these blades. However, when I attempt a 3rd shave with any of these blades I notice a significant difference in the amount of drag I get and usually end-up with some irritation afterward. I don't mind that I only get 2 uses per a blade since they are so cheap, but I was just wondering how many of you out there experience the same thing. Does anyone else only get 2 shaves per blade before noticing a marked decline in performance, or do I just have abnormally tough stubble?

I have been wet shaving for a few months and have tried the Walmart, Merkur, Derby, and Dorco DE blades. I usually get pretty reliable results on the 1st and 2nd shaves with these blades. However, when I attempt a 3rd shave with any of these blades I notice a significant difference in the amount of drag I get and usually end-up with some irritation afterward. I don't mind that I only get 2 uses per a blade since they are so cheap, but I was just wondering how many of you out there experience the same thing. Does anyone else only get 2 shaves per blade before noticing a marked decline in performance, or do I just have abnormally tough stubble?

I get about two shaves a blade. I do nothing special to store them in between shaves. i might get one more shave if i tired. But at just over $.07 a blade i'm not too worried.

I do too, with any blade I use whether it's Red IP, crystal, astra, etc. It's kind of annoying and kind of weird because I don't consider myself to have such a coarse beard. Either medium or a little more in my opinion.

I take only two shaves per blade - Red Pack Personnas, Crystal IP.

Maybe I could get more - but these are inexpensive blades & my own personal face deserves the best!

I've only been using a DE for a few months, but I really only get 2 good shaves per blade, but I do have a coarse beard. On some of the bargain blades I can't get one. I expect it to get a bit better as my technique continues to improve requiring less touch up etc., maybe a reliable 3.

i find the lather makes a hge difference as to how many shaves i can get out of a blade.

Last month with tabac, i was hitting 3-6 per blade, and got 8 shaves out of disposable bic sensitive (SE)
this month with c&e nomad, i'm getting 1-2.

Shaving every other day I get 2 shaves out of a Derby blade in my SS. The 3rd shave wasn't that great. Tried a 3rd shave on a Merkur blade in my HD and got a good shave, but didn't try for a 4th. Since I'm just starting out I've been buying blades in low quantities to test so my cost per blade is pretty high. Waiting on some 7 O'clock yellows to arrive next. When I decide on the blades I really like, I'll try to push more shaves from them, then buy them in higher quantities.

I have a tough curly beard and I just got 10 shaves out of a Feather :laugh: Prior to that I just tossed 'em after a few shaves based mainly on what I've read here. The 10th shave today was BBS with no irritation...probably could have kept it going for a few more days but I didn't wanna risk it. I've been making a concerted effert to take the blade out, shake water off the blade, and then let it air dry on both sides in my TTO

Here's a poll I have going talking about this. Majority of the answers has the user using a blade for a set number of shaves the user determines and then tossing the blade for a new one.

Thread

I have a tough curly beard and I just got 10 shaves out of a Feather :laugh: Prior to that I just tossed 'em after a few shaves based mainly on what I've read here. The 10th shave today was BBS with no irritation...probably could have kept it going for a few more days but I didn't wanna risk it. I've been making a concerted effert to take the blade out, shake water off the blade, and then let it air dry on both sides in my TTO

Most shaves I got out of a single feather 17 great bbs no irritation shaves and the 18th irritation city but still a bbs shave! I usually keep shaving with them until they start to drag which ends up every 2.5 weeks in the slants!

Cheers,

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Depends on the blade and depends on the razor.

I usually get 2 shaves out of Feather(regarless of the razor). I usually get 2 shaves with a Slant (regardless of the blade).

Other than that, 3 shaves (3 passes) on average. Sometimes 5 with Astra.

I would try some other blades before you just resign yourself to two shaves per blade. I can only get two out of a feather and derby but bluebirds and gillette 7 o'clock yellows I easily get 5 shaves from. I could probably get more but have never pushed beyond that.

I would try some other blades before you just resign yourself to two shaves per blade. I can only get two out of a feather and derby but bluebirds and gillette 7 o'clock yellows I easily get 5 shaves from. I could probably get more but have never pushed beyond that.

Wow. For me the 4th shave with a Gillette Yellow was God-awful. However, I can easily get 4 good shaves out of a Kai.

For me, I get about 5... I might get more, but I generally only shave 5 times in a week and won't usually use a blade longer than that. There are sometimes when the blade doesn't last an entire week... for me, the shaves actually get the most comfortable up through the 3rd shave, then it will flatten out. Then one day it'll just be horrible.

Sometimes only one or less. It depends partly on how I feel. The blades start to dull immediately, and at some point I just want something sharper. Some days, that happens in the middle of the first shave. Other times I let it go four or five shaves. Usually, it's at about 2.5 shaves, so I just go with two. Someone mentioned a system where you leave a blade in the razor after the first shave, and toss it after the second, so at each shave you either insert a blade before shaving or remove it after the shave. A bit too complicated and a lot of stuff to remember, but it might work for people with live short term memory brain cells.

Top Bottom