What's new

Help choosing a dog

S

Sam

Daughter is moving out at the end of December and taking her (well, seems like ours, but it was bought for her) Yorkie with her. We have a teacup black poodle, female, and she is a very quiet temperment. Looking for a companion. Ideally, non-shedding or low shedding, and small, say under 15 lbs. Also, a dog that can stay home while we are at work, will not chew furniture (toys we buy it are okay) and would be a lap dog. So what is out is a golden retriever, a lab, boxer, and a german shepherd (oh how I wish they had teacup or toy german shepherds!!). Some grooming is okay, but major grooming, like a cocker spaniel or bichon frise would be out. Maybe that kicks out a lhasa apso or a shih tzu.

Here are some I am thinking of: pug, another poodle, cavalier king charles spaniel, chihuahua mix, yorkiepoo, and a puggle (pug and beagle mix). I also think a mini schnauzer or a scottish terrier might work.

no offence to any one that has one but i would vote against the pug. The ones i have had experience with seem to loose hairs. Unless of cource you plan on shaving your dog, then they are cool.

Oh and chiwawas have a horidly anoying bark.

PS. Shaving a Pug will take lots of skin stretching!

Last edited:
my folks' chihuahua mix is super neurotic about being left alone. ymmv, but about the only dog I think can be left alone while your at work all day is a cat. :biggrin:

Shih-Tzu. Hypoallergenic non-shedders who will be cool at home alone all day (they were temple guard dogs for Buddhist monks, so they like being in their own territory) and still want to be lap dogs. 15lbs might be possible, although some get up to 18lbs or more.

Get a pair so they can keep each other company.

Schnauzers are pretty good, very little grooming and they have pretty fierce little personalities always remind me of a pissed off englishman for some reason lol.
IMO the kind of dog that I've had that fits all those qualities was a cockapoo, frankly most of the poodle mixes that I've been acquainted with were amazing house dogs.

Daughter is moving out at the end of December and taking her (well, seems like ours, but it was bought for her) Yorkie with her. We have a teacup black poodle, female, and she is a very quiet temperment. Looking for a companion. Ideally, non-shedding or low shedding, and small, say under 15 lbs. Also, a dog that can stay home while we are at work, will not chew furniture (toys we buy it are okay) and would be a lap dog. So what is out is a golden retriever, a lab, boxer, and a german shepherd (oh how I wish they had teacup or toy german shepherds!!). Some grooming is okay, but major grooming, like a cocker spaniel or bichon frise would be out. Maybe that kicks out a lhasa apso or a shih tzu.

Here are some I am thinking of: pug, another poodle, cavalier king charles spaniel, chihuahua mix, yorkiepoo, and a puggle (pug and beagle mix). I also think a mini schnauzer or a scottish terrier might work.

Small dogs that fit this description will be tough. I'd suggest a cat:tongue_sm Seriously, I was a 100% dog person, but we took in a cat for my daughter and it has been one of the best surprises I can imagine of late...

no offence to any one that has one but i would vote against the pug. The ones i have had experience with seem to loose hairs. Unless of cource you plan on shaving your dog, then they are cool.

HUGE +1

Pugs shed an ungodly amount. Plus I hated its personality. I'll never own another Pug...

Plus he'll be comical with his wall-eyes and bad temperament towards strangers :lol:

I've actually met about a dozen Bostons and own two. I've never seen a temperment problem. But each dog, like people is an individual. Also, only about 1/2 of Bostons are wall-eyed.

My two aren't. It's a little creepy.:blink:

S

Sam

We do not want a dog with a lot of grooming needs. My wife has ruled out the Westy and Scottie and maybe a Schauzer. She is leaning to a poodle, a poodle mix like a yorkiepoo or cockapoo, and really wants a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. The pug and puggle are out and some exotic dogs because of the prices. If the Cavalier is good to stay out in the house all day with a teacup poodle and not chew up stuff other than toys, and will not piddle around the house on the carpet (we can crate it and train it and we have piddle pads) then I think that is what she wants. Grooming is a big key and we read that it sheds a little and some say not at all.

I do like the Boston and could easily go with that if she can not decide

We do not want a dog with a lot of grooming needs. My wife has ruled out the Westy and Scottie and maybe a Schauzer. She is leaning to a poodle, a poodle mix like a yorkiepoo or cockapoo, and really wants a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. The pug and puggle are out and some exotic dogs because of the prices. If the Cavalier is good to stay out in the house all day with a teacup poodle and not chew up stuff other than toys, and will not piddle around the house on the carpet (we can crate it and train it and we have piddle pads) then I think that is what she wants. Grooming is a big key and we read that it sheds a little and some say not at all.

I do like the Boston and could easily go with that if she can not decide

What about a mini dashound. They make great house pets.

Clayton

Some of the best companion dogs I've ever met have come from shelters - they seem so grateful to have a home that they just love, love, love their master.

If you visit a shelter you will be able to see exactly what you're getting; you can tug on hair to test shedding, see it's demeanor, size, etc... Getting a puppy is a bit of a crap shoot; the breed can tell you a lot of traits, but there is no guarantee of it's personality - it could grow up into a real pain in the ***.

Sam,

Consider an Australian terrier. They are small - well under 20 lbs. They do not shed, and never need clipping. They are very smart, very friendly, and not as difficult to train as other terriers. They are very low maintenance dogs, except they like people and want some attention. They can be lap dogs, but are actually working dogs, so also need some running time.

We had one for 14 years and she was a GREAT dog.

They look just like Yorkies, but are much more muscular.

http://www.akc.org/breeds/australian_terrier/

Good luck,

jim

Please please please don't buy a "designer" mixed breed from a breeder. A mixed breed is a mixed breed regardless of the cute name attached to the pairing. Unscrupulous breeders will promote these crosses as having the best characteristics of both parent breeds, when in reality a basic understanding of genetics tells you you may get the worst of both, the best of both, or most likely a mix of characteristics.

Don't take this as an opposition to mutts. There are many wonderful mixed breed dogs available through shelters and rescue groups. But I believe the sort of shady breeder who sells designer mixes is primarily concerned with making a quick buck, and that means they are breeding for a name and not to produce a healthy dog with a good temperament. Please don't give your money to that sort of person.

proxy.php

well. I have a Portie (Portuguese Water Dog) that nearly fits the bill, but is too large (40lbs) but he thinks he's small and sleeps on top of me every night. I'd recommend this breed, but they are larger than you are looking for. At the dog park I go to the Puggles really rule! They are small, but nearly all of them come to the big dog (over 25lb) side since they have not problem holding their own. They run fast, are interested in things, show a lot of personality, and if I weren't allergic I would consider one as a second dog. They don't seem to lack for personality. Most at our park are the tan/brown color. But one is a brindle and is just very cool (looking and personality).

Top Bottom