What's new

Help choosing a dog

well. I have a Portie (Portuguese Water Dog) that nearly fits the bill, but is too large (40lbs) but he thinks he's small and sleeps on top of me every night. I'd recommend this breed, but they are larger than you are looking for.

PT Water Dog?! Excellent choice, kind with childrens and loyal to his master, loves to swim...being a local breed, since my childhood i've had several and always my choice.

11 weeks old, and I had picked out

Winston (for Churchill)
William
Byron, or Lord Byron
Barkley
Marley (wife likes, as well as Riley)
Trevor (since daughter spent 6 weeks in summer in Rome and loved the Trevi fountain)
Maxwell
Daughter likes Atticus, since I am an attorney and she is in law school.

proxy.php

Atticus is good, but what about Scout, from the same source. Great dog name, plus the character stands for goodness and truth. Can't go wrong with "Scout."

Congrats on a great lookin' dog!

I would vote against Jack Russells. my in-laws have a Jack Russell and he's a menace. he's good enough when he needs to be but when he gets excited he's very high strung, meaning he barks a lot, chews the hell out of things and has a tendency towards aggressiveness. I know behaviour will typically depend on how you raise the animal but I just found the Jack Russell temperment too much.

I met a Jack Russell several years ago at a store on the Via Venito in Rome. I was shopping for wine and he walked up to help us. He had the run of the shop and was calm and friendly. Yes, they are energetic but socializing is important. I've noticed that dogs in Europe seem to be use to being around people and remain calm.

I have had two miniature schnauzers in my lifetime, they are non-shedding, so there are associated grooming costs, but that all depends on whether you want to maintain that classic schnauzer haircut or let them become quite the furball. The last schnauzer was white in colour so not a pure bred.

They were both quite the lap dogs, really enjoyed sitting on the coach next to people, however they both needed to be taken on a good walk daily otherwise some destructive behaviour could occur.

I've also always been partial to breeds with "beards"

V

VR6ofpain

Sorry it's a Cairn :blush:
View attachment 76084
http://www.cairnterrier.org/

100 % Cairn Terrier. Buffy is born 21 March 1995
View attachment 76085
Regards,
Eelco

My parents have a couple Cairn's as well. Cute dogs, but theirs bark a little much for my tolerance. I think they never tried to control it with any discipline and now they have been conditioned to think it is ok to bark. They are serious rodent hunters. The female has killed a bird, a squirrel, and a bat (it flew into a bush and the dog jumped in after it). The male has only killed a mouse.

You said you wanted a dog. Under 70 lbs is not a dog, but a rodent. You will have room for a real dog with your daughter moving out. There's really only a few breeds of real dogs. German Shepherds and Belgian Malanois are good places to start.

Daughter is moving out at the end of December and taking her (well, seems like ours, but it was bought for her) Yorkie with her. We have a teacup black poodle, female, and she is a very quiet temperment. Looking for a companion. Ideally, non-shedding or low shedding, and small, say under 15 lbs. Also, a dog that can stay home while we are at work, will not chew furniture (toys we buy it are okay) and would be a lap dog. So what is out is a golden retriever, a lab, boxer, and a german shepherd (oh how I wish they had teacup or toy german shepherds!!). Some grooming is okay, but major grooming, like a cocker spaniel or bichon frise would be out. Maybe that kicks out a lhasa apso or a shih tzu.

Here are some I am thinking of: pug, another poodle, cavalier king charles spaniel, chihuahua mix, yorkiepoo, and a puggle (pug and beagle mix). I also think a mini schnauzer or a scottish terrier might work.

Pugs are the best dogs in the world, IMHO. We have (2) of them, and I can't imagine not having a Pug in our lives.

That said, I have NEVER seen a dog that can shed as much as a Pug, other than perhaps a Corgi. I'm serious... you could build another Pug from all the hair we sweep up every 2-3 days. BUT, they are such great dogs, it's worth the hassle to us.

Of the ones you mention, the Poodle, mini-Schnauzer, or Scottie would likely be your best bet. My sister has (2) Scotties, and feels about them like we do our Pugs.

The gf and I just got a pup while on Thanksgiving break. We were visiting my folks in Pa. and stopped off in a small pet shop. This guy was so adorable we had to take him home. We took him to the vet to be checked out before the 12.5 hour car ride back to Atl. and he did great. I always thought that I'd get a bigger dog when I eventually got one but this guy is just excellent. And he has no fear going up to big labs and goldens to get some playtime in.

He's a Papichon which is a cross between a Papillon and a Bichon Frise and his name is Miles. I'd definitely recommend one of these little buggers.

proxy.php

proxy.php

a standard short haired dachshund ... raised from puppy (or around 1 year at the most when you get em) will blend well will the family and other pet ... we have two dachshunds right now ... one we got when he was a little over one year .. was a rescue... took a few months of adjustment .. now he is one of the best i have ever had ... the other one we have is a miniature .. that was also the runt of a litter and sadly from a puppy mill .. but he was a rescue as well ... they were going to put him down but i stepped in and brought him home ... he has a great personality .. but can not bark at all ... he 'bays' like a hound instead ... which has shocked a few people when they hear him ...

they are both in the 13 to 15lb range ... and are very much lap dogs .. i can not even sit on the couch without both of them being in my lap within 1 second ...

you do need to read up on the breed a little bit though if you consider them, as they have some traits that are different then most dogs... what some people consider stupidity ... is actually a dachshund's stubbornness and tenacity. we thought our miniature had brain damage for a bit, till we realized he was hunting mice in the house ... to this day he has over 20 mice and rats under his belt ... able to pintpoint them within a min, and will wait for up to 2 or 3 hours quietly in one place for it to come out before he catches it and brings it to us.

Top Bottom