What's new

Help choosing a dog

Daughter is moving out at the end of December and taking her (well, seems like ours, but it was bought for her) Yorkie with her. We have a teacup black poodle, female, and she is a very quiet temperment. Looking for a companion. Ideally, non-shedding or low shedding, and small, say under 15 lbs. Also, a dog that can stay home while we are at work, will not chew furniture (toys we buy it are okay) and would be a lap dog. So what is out is a golden retriever, a lab, boxer, and a german shepherd (oh how I wish they had teacup or toy german shepherds!!). Some grooming is okay, but major grooming, like a cocker spaniel or bichon frise would be out. Maybe that kicks out a lhasa apso or a shih tzu.

Here are some I am thinking of: pug, another poodle, cavalier king charles spaniel, chihuahua mix, yorkiepoo, and a puggle (pug and beagle mix). I also think a mini schnauzer or a scottish terrier might work.

Im not a small dog fan but the Cavalier King's are really nice but I think they shed. Wife had a schnauzer before we got married. It was a great dog and was real low maintenance.

I just recently went through this. I'd recommend (as others have) rescuing a dog. Don't get a dog from the pound if you can help it - get one from a rescue group.

Why? Well first of all a shelter is a TERRIBLE environment for an ntrained individual to select a dog (they act a LOT different in the shelter than they will in your home) and if you get a puppy from a breeder - you have no idea what kid of personality the dog will exhibit as an adult (1 year +). Puppies typically get along with ALL dogs - but at about 9-14 months you could end up with a dog that isn't so friendly - and no longer likes your current dog which would mean one would have to go. Next, when you get a dog from a rescue group - it's fostered in someones home. This is outstanding for 3 reasons. 1.) There's a 99% chance it's received basic training and knows how to behave around strangers, other dogs, and it's home/environment 2.) You can see/meet the dog in a "normal" environment similar to what you would experience at your home, when they're not stressed - so you can REALLY see what you're getting into. 3.) You can see how they treat/respect the home they're living in, and if there will be any issues with leaving them home alone. A lot of times they'll be dog door trained and the like - and essentially be "turn key" dogs. You'll also get the opportunity to have them meet your current dog and see how they get along and unlike a shelter - you can take them on a week or two long trial run to be 100% certain they're the perfect fit - and when you're talking about a 15+ year commitment to something that's going to be living in your house, for me, this is a must.

Another great reason to adopt from a rescue group - is that with a modicum of patience, you can adopt nearly ANY breed of purebred dog. Every breed (save for the ultra rare breeds) has rescue groups - there are a ton for Boston Terriers, Dachshunds, Schnauzers, you name it.

Now I know some folks like to get their dog from the pound because they want to "save a life" but remember almost every dog from a rescue group comes from the shelter BUT - they're usually picked up by the rescue groups for particularly good personalities/temperaments or because they were scheduled to be put to sleep but had good pet potential. This means you're still "saving a life" and once you adopt from a group - it opens up space for them to rescue another dog from the shelter. It's no different.

We've rescued several dogs - the most recent of which a Dachshund from the Northern California Dachshund Rescue, which was no more than a month ago. He's drop dead gorgeous (if purchased from a breeder would certainly have been thousands of dollars) wonderfully smart, completely potty trained, is a perfect gentlemen in our house and best of all has the perfect personality to match our other dog and they are absolute inseparable pals with the identical energy level.

Dachshunds are pretty neat little dogs.... a LOT of personality/spunk, a lot of love, really smart (albeit stubborn) and whoa nelly they have a startlingly deep/loud bark. If someone comes a knockin' on your door whilst you're not around and hears an angry dachshund, they're not going to have any interest in coming inside - as their bark is no different than my in-laws Doberman.

I'd look at Cairn Terriers, Dachshunds, Who-dun-it's, etc.

I want to come see your Dachshunds, Joel. My wife and her family have had them for years, and I didn't ever see any of the traits you listed there:001_tongu

And, theirs were always exceptionally yappy barkers who would be described as anything but deep:lol:

Pitbull, the answer for any dog question, there's a bunch of us bully breed owners here. Once you get past the myth and the fact that they are outside your size range they are gentle, loyal companions with an awesome temperment. I wouldn't have any other breed after owning one. Guess you can say I'm a bit biased.

I am a firm believer that mutts are best. I have had dogs most of my life. The purebread dogs tended to have more health and behavioral problems than the mutts.

On top of that mutts cost less.

I want to come see your Dachshunds, Joel. My wife and her family have had them for years, and I didn't ever see any of the traits you listed there:001_tongu

And, theirs were always exceptionally yappy barkers who would be described as anything but deep:lol:

They're very popular dogs, thus they're over bred which leads to a lot of bad characteristics, puppy mill dogs, etc. It also sounds like they haven't been trained properly - however based on the yappy trait you're referring to - I think we're talking different dogs. I think you're talking about the mini-dachshund, which is the most common dachshund (BTW - disregard weight in determining mini vs standard - as most dachshund owners allow their dogs to get over-weight). Do they have a deep chest which almost touches the ground? If not - they're not from good breeding lines and that would account for their nauseating behavior and the weak bark - but google dachshund and read a few breed descriptions and most of them will note their massive bark, which is due to that deep chest I was referencing - which alerts hunters of their location, houses some giant lungs for them to take in a ton of oxygen (they're fantastic runners, despite their size). Also - they should have long mouths with very, very large teeth for their size.

A REAL Dachshund (which means badger dog) is designed to flush badgers into their holes (some of the most ferocious animals out out there) and fight, and kill them underground, so if the Dachshunds you're used to aren't built like mini-tanks, have a monster bark and aren't fantastically smart - you're referring to a mini, or some bad breeding stock.

I'll tell you what - the first time Jackson (our Dachshund) barked, I damn near wet myself and it shocked the hell out of me. I didn't see him do it - so I thought another dog had gotten into our house through the dog door. His bark is every bit as deep/loud as Hudson's - the massive Pit Bull.

They're very popular dogs, thus they're over bred which leads to a lot of bad characteristics, puppy mill dogs, etc. It also sounds like they haven't been trained properly - however based on the yappy trait you're referring to - I think we're talking different dogs. I think you're talking about the mini-dachshund, which is the most common dachshund (BTW - disregard weight in determining mini vs standard - as most dachshund owners allow their dogs to get over-weight). Do they have a deep chest which almost touches the ground? If not - they're not from good breeding lines and that would account for their nauseating behavior and the weak bark - but google dachshund and read a few breed descriptions and most of them will note their massive bark, which is due to that deep chest I was referencing - which alerts hunters of their location, houses some giant lungs for them to take in a ton of oxygen (they're fantastic runners, despite their size). Also - they should have long mouths with very, very large teeth for their size.

A REAL Dachshund (which means badger dog) is designed to flush badgers into their holes (some of the most ferocious animals out out there) and fight, and kill them underground, so if the Dachshunds you're used to aren't built like mini-tanks, have a monster bark and aren't fantastically smart - you're referring to a mini, or some bad breeding stock.

I'll tell you what - the first time Jackson (our Dachshund) barked, I damn near wet myself and it shocked the hell out of me. I didn't see him do it - so I thought another dog had gotten into our house through the dog door. His bark is every bit as deep/loud as Hudson's - the massive Pit Bull.

That's entirely possible. They are prone to getting their dogs from breeders whom I would personally avoid to be perfectly honest.

Terriers don't shed, but most need to be "stripped" so there is some grooming involved. But they're all dog -- even the smallest seem to think they're the size of Rottweilers. Lots of personality, too. We had a Norfolk -- greatest dog ever. But then I'm biased.

+1 on breed rescue, BTW. In the current economy, a lot of the rescue groups are at capacity with rescued dogs that need a home.

I have to put up another vote for a rescue if at all possible. I have a couple lab/cocker mixes that I was lucky enough to get in that fashion that are just about perfect, around 40lbs and so sweet I think they are made of sugar. :biggrin:

I really do believe they appreciate the home, but to be honest, I was the lucky one.

S

Sam

we got a male Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. Need a good boy name

proxy.php

proxy.php

They're smart little dogs that come in a few sizes from pretty small to slightly larger. They're intelligent, good-tempered little dogs and have nice, sharp features that accentuate that. They're much calmer than, say, Jack Russells, and make really nice house dogs. I don't think they shed much.

Rat Terrier Article

Daughter is moving out at the end of December and taking her (well, seems like ours, but it was bought for her) Yorkie with her. We have a teacup black poodle, female, and she is a very quiet temperment. Looking for a companion. Ideally, non-shedding or low shedding, and small, say under 15 lbs. Also, a dog that can stay home while we are at work, will not chew furniture (toys we buy it are okay) and would be a lap dog. So what is out is a golden retriever, a lab, boxer, and a german shepherd (oh how I wish they had teacup or toy german shepherds!!). Some grooming is okay, but major grooming, like a cocker spaniel or bichon frise would be out. Maybe that kicks out a lhasa apso or a shih tzu.

Here are some I am thinking of: pug, another poodle, cavalier king charles spaniel, chihuahua mix, yorkiepoo, and a puggle (pug and beagle mix). I also think a mini schnauzer or a scottish terrier might work.

S

Sam

11 weeks old, and I had picked out

Winston (for Churchill)
William
Byron, or Lord Byron
Barkley
Marley (wife likes, as well as Riley)
Trevor (since daughter spent 6 weeks in summer in Rome and loved the Trevi fountain)
Maxwell
Daughter likes Atticus, since I am an attorney and she is in law school.

proxy.php

V

VR6ofpain

Looking for a companion. Ideally, non-shedding or low shedding, and small, say under 15 lbs. Also, a dog that can stay home while we are at work, will not chew furniture (toys we buy it are okay) and would be a lap dog.
A Shih Tzu. You can groom them yourself if you keep the hair short and simple like a terrier. Many call it a "puppy cut". We do it with a $15 trimmer/vacuum we picked up a Marshalls. He does chew on some stuff, but we are trying to get him to keep it to his toys.

Here are some pics of our Shih Tzu, Joel:
proxy.php

proxy.php

We rescued him as a puppy, here are is a pic when he was only 2 months old:
proxy.php

He likes to talk :wink: :
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXhtbhbxEwM[/youtube][youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8eJ_f0WQh0[/youtube]

Jack Russel is my favourite breed of dog but we got the kids a spaniel last Christmas and it's turned out to be a great pet. Is there a shelter near you? It might be worth having a look there. I'm sure you'll find something which catches your eye.

Dachshund stupid fearless smart and cuddly. If I may suggest please check with shelters and rescue originizations for what ever dog you may get first. We got our second Miniature Dachshund from a rescue and she is a real sweetheart. When we first got her she didn't even know how to play, but
Thumper schooled her fast!
proxy.php

This is Thumper He is a Pie Bald

Pitbull, the answer for any dog question, there's a bunch of us bully breed owners here. Once you get past the myth and the fact that they are outside your size range they are gentle, loyal companions with an awesome temperment. I wouldn't have any other breed after owning one. Guess you can say I'm a bit biased.

I agree 100%. I understand they're bigger than you want, but the smaller the dumber. I think if you're getting something the size of a cat you oughta just get a cat. Sorry. Little dogs ive come across are always yappy and annoying. Pit Bulls are available everywhere, (even if your local shelter doesnt admit it they probably have them if you go look) and they're cheap, and smart and healthy and dont shed much... Wonderful temperment too. Great with the kids and the cats. They did chew the furniture a bit when they were young, but quickly stopped. Dont belive the bad hype out there, the lowlives whose pitbulls get in trouble would ruin ANY dog they raised.

Jack russel or jackapoo.

I would vote against Jack Russells. my in-laws have a Jack Russell and he's a menace. he's good enough when he needs to be but when he gets excited he's very high strung, meaning he barks a lot, chews the hell out of things and has a tendency towards aggressiveness. I know behaviour will typically depend on how you raise the animal but I just found the Jack Russell temperment too much.

Top Bottom