What's new

Help!

Yea eBay seller indignat when I asked if the razor was shave ready. His reply was near shave ready and the listing said the same thing. I shopped eBay because of costs. Now not so sure it was a bargain.

Near shave ready = NOT shave ready = bad shave = bad burn

I would recommend after you receive your professionally honed razor invest in a strop pasted with CrO2 and refresh the blades when you feel that it is not sharp enough as it was when it was honed.

Also 8000 Norton hones IMO does not make a razor shave ready.

It has to be taken to 12K and then to Cr02 pasted strop for it to be shave ready.

I can shave pretty comfortably off of 8k ~shrug~

Your face is leathery from all that time staring up at the sky catching balls. :001_tt2: :lol:

I don't have any problems shaving off an 8k stone. Its not as pleasant as shaving off a 50k stone of course. Then again, I might be in the same boat as Rich....

The Norton 8000 will make a razor shave ready, quite comfortable shave too... but like any other hone, depends on how it is used.

It also depends on if you like shaving off of the Norton 8K. If you don't like that edge, all the skill in the world isn't going to help.

It also depends on if you like shaving off of the Norton 8K. If you don't like that edge, all the skill in the world isn't going to help.

That’s OK, you don’t like the shave from a Norton, and I respect your opinion. My post expressed my personal opinion.

I and many others know the Norton is an excellent hone for straight razors; it will produce a comfortable shaving edge for most folks “if (like any other stone) it is used properly”.
Every type of stone (man-made or natural) is different, and one only need to take the time and study the stone and its cutting properties for the razor in question, and it will be quite easy for anyone to have a comfortable shave.

"Near shave ready" has more in common with dull than shave ready. Both dull and "near shave ready" aren't shaving sharp. Without knowing what a shaving sharp razor feels like, how do you go about aiming for a shaving sharp razor? Learning how to shave with a straight razor is a challenging task. Don't set yourself up for failure by simultaneously trying to learn to hone.

My two straights are back and what a difference the professional honing made. I am still getting razor burn but I think I am using too much weight on the razor. Any suggestions for technique?

Hi,

I have some feedback as a fellow newbie.

I struggled with a non-shave-ready/trying to hone my own until I purchased a shave-ready Friodur from John Crowley.

This was a revelation!

I had been getting burn until I realised a few things:

Think of beard REDUCTION! not Mach 3 instant 0 hair. Each pass will trim it down.

Start with no more than 2 passes if you're new to straights. For me, I'm happy with the results I get from 2 passes.

LET THE RAZOR DO THE WORK! You don't need "pressure" per se.

Different passes necessitate different blade angles. ATG needs a shallower angle.

Ensure that you strop it enough (with excellent technique- don't rush this). I normally do something in the region of 50 on linen and 100 or so on leather.

Take your time and think about your strokes before you start.

Hope this helps?!

My two straights are back and what a difference the professional honing made. I am still getting razor burn but I think I am using too much weight on the razor. Any suggestions for technique?

Burn is caused by taking a layer of skin off. Angle and pressure are the usual culprits. However, too little pressure/angle and it won't cut. Theres a sweet spot that you need to find.

Hi,

I have some feedback as a fellow newbie.

I struggled with a non-shave-ready/trying to hone my own until I purchased a shave-ready Friodur from John Crowley.

This was a revelation!

I had been getting burn until I realised a few things:

Think of beard REDUCTION! not Mach 3 instant 0 hair. Each pass will trim it down.

Start with no more than 2 passes if you're new to straights. For me, I'm happy with the results I get from 2 passes.

LET THE RAZOR DO THE WORK! You don't need "pressure" per se.

Different passes necessitate different blade angles. ATG needs a shallower angle.

Ensure that you strop it enough (with excellent technique- don't rush this). I normally do something in the region of 50 on linen and 100 or so on leather.

Take your time and think about your strokes before you start.

Hope this helps?!

Yes this helped a lot:w00t:

Top Bottom