What's new

ironing shirts

I know there are different fabrics to consider (100% cotton vs egyptian cotton vs no wrinkle fabrics, etc) when ironing your shirts but I don't seem to have much luck with my 100% cotton shirts for some reason. when I iron them they still look wrinkled. do you guys always use starch when ironing shirts or is there some masonic secret to get your shirts nice and crisp?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Make sure your shirts are still damp when you iron them. I iron mine right out of the washing machine after the last spin cycle, or I spray on water if otherwise. The little bit of steam that you get from the iron isn't going to get it done for you.

Make sure your shirts are still damp when you iron them. I iron mine right out of the washing machine after the last spin cycle, or I spray on water if otherwise. The little bit of steam that you get from the iron isn't going to get it done for you.

That's it! At least have a full spray bottle of water and get it nice and damp before ironing. Starch is optional if you do it this way.

Hang your clothes to dry on a hanger as the dryer will wrinkle them more. Use distilled water in the iron on the hottest steam setting and you should be good to go.

thanks! looks like that added bit of dampness is all I need. i've been putting my shirts in the dryer and then trying to iron them when the cycle is done. i'll use a spray bottle next time

I know there are different fabrics to consider (100% cotton vs egyptian cotton vs no wrinkle fabrics, etc) when ironing your shirts but I don't seem to have much luck with my 100% cotton shirts for some reason. when I iron them they still look wrinkled. do you guys always use starch when ironing shirts or is there some masonic secret to get your shirts nice and crisp?

At $2.00 a garment and a heck of a lot less time, professional dry cleaning is the only way to go with cotton. IMHO.

That said, I always buy non-iron cotton for that very reason. Forget ironing.

I like to iron, probably for the same reason I like wet shaving...besides, it reminds me of my younger days back in the Old Corps when uniforms had to be ironed, and even starched!

I find that with max steam I don't have to use a spray bottle, and I'll use starch on the collar, cuffs and pockets.

My wife thinks I'm crazy for ironing my pocket handkerchiefs.

Suggestion for future reference:
Jos. A. Bank Traveler's Collection shirts.
Never ironed a one, I just hang them right from the dryer.
Great shirts. Wait for a sale, there's one about every month or so at least.

Best shirts ever made!!!!!!! Yes wait for sales and my sales guy said to hold off a week for a 2 for 1 shirt coming up. :thumbup1:

I like to iron, probably for the same reason I like wet shaving...besides, it reminds me of my younger days back in the Old Corps when uniforms had to be ironed, and even starched!

I find that with max steam I don't have to use a spray bottle, and I'll use starch on the collar, cuffs and pockets.

You should train her to do the ironing. :tongue_sm

quietly leaves the room in case of fireworks...

i'm a bargain shopper when it comes to dress shirts, meaning i'm incredibly cheap and don't like to spend more than $20. I'll usually check Marshalls since most of their dress shirts are $20 or less, or i'll check local thrift stores.

i'm a bargain shopper when it comes to dress shirts, meaning i'm incredibly cheap and don't like to spend more than $20. I'll usually check Marshalls since most of their dress shirts are $20 or less, or i'll check local thrift stores.

Thats probably going to cost you in the long run. Just like gillette. :lol:

I'm a big fan of the Brooks Brother's wrinkle free cotton shirts. Not only are they easy to manage and do not require dry cleaning, but starch doesn't seem to help them at all.

Easily worth the extra couple bucks.

Thats probably going to cost you in the long run. Just like gillette. :lol:

fortunately for me, I haven't had much reason to buy any dress shirts so i've only spent a bare minimum. one of the thrift stores I go to locally often has used Brooks Brothers shirts but they're always too big.

Mine too, but she likes the look of the crisply ironed and folded stack of hankies. Besides, like a pocket square, it demonstrates that don't overlook any detail, no matter how seemingly small.

...and besides, I like to iron, too. :001_cool:

I'm amazed that some of you still use starch! I don't think I've ever seen anything starched.

Used to know someone who ironed his socks! Made oi laarf...

Gareth

Kohl's when they have sales have quite good quality shirts for under $20, often under $15,

Two years ago, during a Macy's clearance I snagged a bunch of fine dress shirts for under $10.

Top Bottom