What's new

Newbie straight

I'm sure this question has been asked dozens of times and will probably get asked dozens more, and yes, I've read many of these posts. Figuring that people like to give their opinion, I'll ask it again. :001_smile

What razor and strop do you recommend for a newbie?

I'll admit that when I first started considering going straight :)w00t:), I was a taken aback a bit by the prices of straights. I'd like to minimize my investment (in case I find I don't like straights), but I don't want to buy something that will give me a bad experience. I want to try to get a true picture of straight shaving.

I'd like to get a good blade that will hold a good edge since I'd like to concentrate on the shave and the stropping rather than worry about getting it honed. I'd like to be able to dedicate myself to a straight for a month or two without an interruption of having to send my razor in. And yes, I'm looking at 'shave ready' razors.

I'd like to get a razor that has a good potential for resale. I figure if I like straights, I'll probably upgrade and sell the one that I buy now. If I don't like straights, I'll certainly want to sell it.

I'm not a fancy guy. I don't need a lot of glitz, so I'm figuring a decent looking used razor will be fine, but now I'm coming across a ton of names I've never even heard of. I'm currently eying a 'John Jay' for $75, but I really know nothing about it or if that's a good deal. I was also looking at a Gold Dollar, but I read that Gold Dollars are the same as Double Arrows and that Double Arrows are something to steer clear of. It's a good looking razor though.

Then finally, there's the strop. I've heard many say to get something cheap because as a noob, I'll probably nick it. But what's cheap? Everything I've seen so far will run me at least $45. Am I not looking in the right places or is this what I should expect?

Any thoughts or help are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

The problem with Gold Dollar and Double Arrow (same thing, you are correct), is that you have to know what you're doing to buy one of those and get it in shave ready condition (think Seraphim or Ken Rup). Ken Rup sells the Filly strop and a GD razor for $60 and will be more than adequate to get you started. I've got a couple of GD razors on the way now to test out for myself. I can say with confidence that if Seraphim thinks they are worthy of $100+ after his modifications, they must take a quality edge because he's not going to rip people off. Don't fear the Gold Dollar, just buy it from the right person. Actually, Bart at Coticule.be has them too with some modifications...

What razor and strop do you recommend for a newbie?

Performers, not show stoppers.

I'd like to get a good blade that will hold a good edge since I'd like to concentrate on the shave and the stropping rather than worry about getting it honed.

I'm glad to see you thinking this way and that you realize it must be shave ready. You need to know what a good edge is, not think you know what a good edge is.

I'd like to get a razor that has a good potential for resale. I figure if I like straights, I'll probably upgrade and sell the one that I buy now. If I don't like straights, I'll certainly want to sell it.

If you don't like it, ya you'll want to sell it and you probably will be able to as there are plenty of people looking to start. I doubt you will want to sell your first straight if this is something you'll stick with.

I'm currently eying a 'John Jay' for $75, but I really know nothing about it or if that's a good deal.

Ask about it and try to post pictures. Vintage makers often made blades for several brands and also created some private label stuff.

I was also looking at a Gold Dollar, but I read that Gold Dollars are the same as Double Arrows and that Double Arrows are something to steer clear of. It's a good looking razor though.

I think if you get these from a reputable seller/board member you will get a good razor. QA problems exist but you're less likely to get junk from them and in the oddball chance you do they will make it right.

Then finally, there's the strop. I've heard many say to get something cheap because as a noob, I'll probably nick it. But what's cheap? Everything I've seen so far will run me at least $45. Am I not looking in the right places or is this what I should expect?

You will nick it so you have some inexpensive options. A filly strop from ruprazor or a practice strop from Tony Miller are good options. If you have a local leather worker you can describe what you want and it should be relatively cheap or you can cut it yourself.

Last edited:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
+1 on a filly strop. Never used one but supposed to be a good starter strop

A straight on BST that would be 5/8 or 6/8 would be great to start with. Shave-ready, of course.

Craig picked the winner. Le Grelot for $75 from Sham = winner

Also. Gold Dollars came in the mail today. There was a comically poor job on one of the shoulders, but the grind seemed to be just fine.... I'll post more thoughts in a couple of days.

Also. Gold Dollars came in the mail today. There was a comically poor job on one of the shoulders, but the grind seemed to be just fine.... I'll post more thoughts in a couple of days.

Even if it really is not a LeGrelot (which my gut says it is not, but my gut is not very well educated), that grind on that razor is too cool, and I would imagine it being a smooth shaver, as per Sham's description.

I just shaved with a Le Grelot a couple days ago...realize I'm a fairly new straight shaver, but it is scarily sharp and smooth compared to the couple of other blades I've tried (greaves, red injun, boker).

If I had started with one it may've scared me off of straights since it left me a little weepy, but if I can get my technique down a little better, it looks like it'll make a fantastic razor.

Alas, it has sold. That $60 starter kit from ruprazor looks pretty good. Nothing fancy. Cost effective. If I take to straights, I might even PIF it back (or is that a contradiction in terms?) to Ken to re-hone for another noob.

Alas, it has sold. That $60 starter kit from ruprazor looks pretty good. Nothing fancy. Cost effective. If I take to straights, I might even PIF it back (or is that a contradiction in terms?) to Ken to re-hone for another noob.

The well respected JimR is selling a really nice looking set over at the shave den here. Looks like a great deal.

I apologize.

I had eyed that razor all morning long. And then I started talking it up....next thing I knew I clicked "buy it now".....

Sorry.

I'm weak!

What I was trying to do was to get mbrosssar to relieve me from temptation!

I really did go back and forth a couple times "OK.....just let it go....yes, it's nice, and the high back spine, and the way it swoops into the tang really is an eye catcher....but you don't need another straight.....no....just let it go...nice and easy....just stay away from that ad......that.......ad, ad? as in AD? As in RAD?:w00t:

WOO HOO! I HAVE GOT TO HAVE IT!!!!:w00t:"

And now I feel all cheap and dirty....

Sorry mbrossar!:blushing:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I apologize.

I had eyed that razor all morning long. And then I started talking it up....next thing I knew I clicked "buy it now".....

Sorry.

I'm weak!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Not weak... you know what you want!

I literally laughed out loud.
I did too, but not until after I finished this post:
What I was trying to do was to get mbrosssar to relieve me from temptation!

I really did go back and forth a couple times "OK.....just let it go....yes, it's nice, and the high back spine, and the way it swoops into the tang really is an eye catcher....but you don't need another straight.....no....just let it go...nice and easy....just stay away from that ad......that.......ad, ad? as in AD? As in RAD?:w00t:

WOO HOO! I HAVE GOT TO HAVE IT!!!!:w00t:"

And now I feel all cheap and dirty....

Sorry mbrossar!:blushing:

I just started using a straight myself. I bought an entry-level Dovo from VintageBlades. It's a 5/8" full hollow, round point. I also ordered one of their 3" strops. All Vintage Blades' razors come professionally honed and shave ready.

Vintages' Jim Ayars was terrific to deal with and was very helpful.

I really can't say how the Dovo compares to other razors as it's the only one I've ever used. It seems pretty good to me. More importantly, it got me started with a shave-ready razor for $79 (+sh) and the cost of the strop.

I don't mean to plug VB as there are likely other vendors who provide similar value and service. Just relating my experience and my choices to get started.

Last edited:
Top Bottom