What's new

Vie-Long Brushes-Any Opinions?

Thanks! Apparently you have to be careful when mousing over to the language conversion on their site otherwise it won't work.

Drawback is this:

We will deliver the order at the specified address. In the event that you are not available to recieve delivery, you are responsible to collect your order from the address advise by the currier company. You will be responsible for an administration costs of 4,75 € and this should be paid directly to the currier company when collecting your order.

http://giftsandcare.com/en/delivery-terms.html

Anyone in US order from them and paid the USPS fees?

I got a Vie-Long horse hair brush from Phil at Bullgoose. I think it is a fine brush. It was a little funky at the start but that is not unusual. It lathers very well. Works well with both soap and cream. The tips feel rather soft but the hair has some good spring to it. It feels good on my face.

Burt

I got a Vie-Long horse hair brush from Phil at Bullgoose. I think it is a fine brush. It was a little funky at the start but that is not unusual. It lathers very well. Works well with both soap and cream. The tips feel rather soft but the hair has some good spring to it. It feels good on my face.

Burt

Horse is my favourite :thumbup1:

you can find great spanish brushes at vivaeureka.com and aceros-de-hispania.com.....on aceros home page type in brochas de afeitar in the search box...

bumping an old Vie-Long Thread.

currently looking for a badger, either 2 band or silvertip. my other option for a brush fell thru, so i'm now looking seriously at the Vie Long.

thoughts on these 2 and how they compare to other big named brushes (Simpson Best or Super, Thater, M&F Blonde Badger)

Silvertip 23/50 (almost looks 2 band the way it's set)
$vie-long-silvertip-shaving-brush-50mm-16510.jpg

2 Band (23/50, 23/52 or 23/55)
$vie-long-shaving-brush-two-band-e16510.jpg

Here's my opinion for the record. Both share the same beautiful ergonomic handle design best suitable for face lathering. The knots are not alike at all. I have the Vie-Long 3-band LE edition from Phil which has the same hair type but it's denser than 16510. It's extremely soft and feels like a soft ball on the face. I requested my 2-band E16510 with a higher loft than 50 mm, and it measures 24/53 mm. The knot has very strong backbone, not very dense, and has very good flow through. It feels scritchy and a bit prickly when pushed more aggressively.

Here's my opinion for the record. Both share the same beautiful ergonomic handle design best suitable for face lathering. The knots are not alike at all. I have the Vie-Long 3-band LE edition from Phil which has the same hair type but it's denser than 16510. It's extremely soft and feels like a soft ball on the face. I requested my 2-band E16510 with a higher loft than 50 mm, and it measures 24/53 mm. The knot has very strong backbone, not very dense, and has very good flow through. It feels scritchy and a bit prickly when pushed more aggressively.

thanks edge...i knew you had both, and we've PM'd a few times on them. i'm getting closer to choosing my next brush.

still waiting to hear back from 1 mfg and hope to hear this week. then i'll decide between the two.

your opinions and thoughts on my brush questions and posts weigh a lot with me, so they are greatly appreciated.

My 50 cents:

I have several Vie&Long badger brushes and in my experience I found that:

- Silvertip-like hair is good, although not as soft than other brush makers. Works well both in 20 an 24mm. knots
- Two bands/white badger hair works better in 20mm. than 24mm. knots. I owned a personalized 16910 brush filled with a 20x50mm. two bands knot and is probably the best facelathering brush I have tested. A small brush with soft tips but a bit of prickness enough to attack properly hard soaps. The only con is that is a bit overpriced (you can get a Simpson). Most people think that in 24mm. two band this hair is too firm and pricky....

By the way, 16510-16910 are my preferred handles of all Vie&Long range, hehe

Cheers!

I currently have the Vie Long Beehive brush that Phil sells. I have it in the dyed horsehair and the silvertip. The horsehair brush has soft tips with a little scritch. the silvertip is super soft but with nice backbone due the knot density and loft. The flow through on the silvertip has been very good, and the handle is comfortable with a nice weight Overall the brush has really impressed me. I would grade the softness of this silvertip in the range of Thater silvertips.

Blast and curse all of you! Reading this thread, especially the statements that V-L uses the same hair as Plisson, forced me - forced, I tell you - to go to Phil's site to get a badger beehive LE to go with my mixed badger and horse BGS LE.

Last edited:
Has anyone used a Vie-Long horse hair brush? I noticed they have them available at bestgroomingtools and am curious about them. :biggrin1:

I have a Vie-Long Horse Hair & Badger 14832 that I use several times per week. It is a great all purpose brush.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
The horse hair brushes are prickly and require a different technique compared to a lot of badger, boar, and synthetic brushes if you want to avoid brush burn in my experience. Horse is my least favorite type of hair for this reason - I like to push and splay my brushes and all 3 of the VL horse hair brushes I've tried gave me brush burn using them the way I'd use any other type of brush. I've also tried a VL Beehive Silvertip that had a tiny bit of scritch (sold it) and currently have a Lord Randal Silvertip that feels velvety soft against the face. The Lord Randal Silvertip is the most impressive VL brush I've owned so far. It's very unique in it's velvety feel, too. I don't have any other brushes that literally feel like velvet at the tips. They're either more scrubby or more gel-like. Very nice handle, too.

Top Bottom