What's new

Mühle vs. Merkur Open Comb Opinions?

I am thinking about getting an Open Comb, and have been through the reviews on the R41 and 11C. I currently have an R89 and a 38C (and a '53 SS, Schick injector and Feather Portable) as reference points in closed comb razors.

I would like to get your opinions if you have used or compared these for a awhile, or if you have other recommendations for OCs.

JR

The R41 Muhle open comb is a great performer...Prefering myself Muhle design i will choose it, for a similar performer MHL has better design (better BBS shave too?!)...but personnal taste.

Mühle is using the Merkur OC head but when I compare my R-41 and 25C (especially loaded) it is clear that Mühle is doing a better job with the Merkur head than Merkur itself. Fit & finish are at a (substantial) higher level.

Another difference between the R-41 and 11C will be the weight of the razor and its distribution (balance). The Merkur handle is rather heavy and the one on the Mühle is rather light so balance will be very different.

Since I dislike the Merkur 2-piece razors, I prefer their 3-piece models, and love the shave as well as the craftmanship on the Mühle's my vote goes to the R-41.

In fact the R-41 is maybe my best razor ever. :thumbup1:

Last edited:
R

rainman

Reports are saying that the Muhle R41 razor has the same head as the Merkur 11C.

I am thinking about getting an Open Comb, and have been through the reviews on the R41 and 11C. I currently have an R89 and a 38C (and a '53 SS, Schick injector and Feather Portable) as reference points in closed comb razors.

I would like to get your opinions if you have used or compared these for a awhile, or if you have other recommendations for OCs.

JR

I would get a Gillette NEW long-toothed open comb. They are readily available, relatively cheap, and IMHO much better shavers than the Merkur 11C. Since I don't have a Muhle, I can't say how they compare to the NEW, but the Muhle head design looks the same as the 11C. The Gillette NEW is an outstanding razor. And I say this as someone who mostly prefers Merkur razors.

eric.

Top Bottom