What's new

Does Cella expire

I seem to remember reading somewhere that Cella goes bad after a fairly short time.

I don't see anything on retailers sites, and I don't see anything on my tub of Cella.

Anyone know? I wouldn't mind picking up a spare (sometimes imports can be scarce) but it would be counter productive if it spoils.

Bottom of the tub has a "12M" sticker.

If you wanted to get spares you could always put them in the freezer, people do that with the 1kg size.

I don't think Cella is that hard to acquire so I don't see the need to stock up on it....at least until the shavepocalypse comes

Bottom of the tub has a "12M" sticker.

If you wanted to get spares you could always put them in the freezer, people do that with the 1kg size.

I don't think Cella is that hard to acquire so I don't see the need to stock up on it....at least until the shavepocalypse comes

2012 is not that far away. Guns, grits, and Cella. Plan now, play later.

The "12M" is inside of a tiny printed tub with the lid coming off directly above it. The symbol is just to the right of the "150 g" marking.

I didn't realize that the 12M meant 12 months. I'm going to assume that is from the time when it is opened.

I like the idea of the freezer. I'm going to have to try that with a sample and see how it affects the cream. I'll report back.

I really don't see how soap can go bad. It's no longer fat when it saponifies into soap. Expiration date on soap....I've never heard of that one. I still have US Palmolive shaving cream from 3 years ago that I still use from time to time and it's just as good as when I opened it. I still have a Crabtree & Evelyn cream from over 10 years ago that I used just last week and it smelled and performed like new. My 2 cents.

Tony

Owned a tub of cella for about one year with no problems. IMO cella works best with continual usage. If planning not to use for awhile air dry the soap completely. Shrink wrap. Store in a cool dry location.

So I already have a semi-new tub of Cella--hardly put a dent in it. I just received a free sample of some more with a recent order--I was shocked how different it was. Much more white and soft--the one I had in the tub is hardish and yellow. It still works great, but I wonder if it's already in the sunset of its life

So I already have a semi-new tub of Cella--hardly put a dent in it. I just received a free sample of some more with a recent order--I was shocked how different it was. Much more white and soft--the one I had in the tub is hardish and yellow. It still works great, but I wonder if it's already in the sunset of its life

It's merely becoming vintage butterscotch Cella; if anything its entering its prime :001_smile

One might be the Crema da barba and the other might be the crema da sapone. I'm not sure if they look different as I only have the crema da barba (red tub)

I really don't see how soap can go bad. It's no longer fat when it saponifies into soap. Expiration date on soap....I've never heard of that one...

It's to do with the excess fat which provides the moisturising properties of the soap. All shaving soaps will contain a "superfat" component (also sometimes called the "lye discount") where slightly less sodium / potassium hydroxide is used than what would normally be required to saponify the entire quantity of fat in the batch. This leaves about 5% unsaponified fat left over and it is this which can turn rancid.
Most manufacturers get around this problem by adding a preservative such as Tetrasodium EDTA, but the makers of Cella have chosen not to do this – hence the expiry date.

I really don't see how soap can go bad. It's no longer fat when it saponifies into soap. Expiration date on soap....I've never heard of that one. I still have US Palmolive shaving cream from 3 years ago that I still use from time to time and it's just as good as when I opened it. I still have a Crabtree & Evelyn cream from over 10 years ago that I used just last week and it smelled and performed like new. My 2 cents.

Tony
Just order a tub of Cella from Smallflower's rancid stock, open it and take a deep whiff. It will make a believer out of you.

Top Bottom