What's new

Restore question.

Picked up an old brush in the hopes of making it my first restore attempt. The knot, as seen in the pic, is different from the way an Ever Ready looks to be made. What's the best way to remove a knot like this?

Thanks for any help / insight!

That is a nice looking old handle.

I would twist that knot to see if it has any movement at all to allow you to wiggle it out.

If that fails (likely) cut off the bristles and carefully drill out the knot base, then either use a small drum sander wheel (Dremel tool) or a sharp knife to whittle out the remainder of the knot. Stay away from the metal ring unless you decide not to use it again.

It looks like a fine restore possibility.

That is a nice looking old handle.

I would twist that knot to see if it has any movement at all to allow you to wiggle it out.

If that fails (likely) cut off the bristles and carefully drill out the knot base, then either use a small drum sander wheel (Dremel tool) or a sharp knife to whittle out the remainder of the knot. Stay away from the metal ring unless you decide not to use it again.

It looks like a fine restore possibility.

Picked up an old brush in the hopes of making it my first restore attempt. The knot, as seen in the pic, is different from the way an Ever Ready looks to be made. What's the best way to remove a knot like this?

Thanks for any help / insight!

That will make a fine restore! I found that locking the bristles in a vice and trying to yank out the knot a futile attempt on the the three that I have restored, but I'll still try that because one day I'll get one to come out!

I use a new single edge utility knife blade and cut the bristles off flush with the top of the handle. Makes quick work of it.
Do you have access to a drill press, and or a dremel? I just put the handle in the drill press vice used the appropriate size bit and whalla one handle free of knot! Requireng just a little touch up with the Dremel.

That will make a fine restore! I found that locking the bristles in a vice and trying to yank out the knot a futile attempt on the the three that I have restored, but I'll still try that because one day I'll get one to come out!

I just finished my very first restore and I was able to pull the knot out with some pliers :001_cool:

Top Bottom