What's new

EverReady 150 Restore

EverReady 150 Restore with 18mm Best Badger knot from Golden Nib.

proxy.php

I had this EverReady brush for decades. It had shed out most of its middle boar bristles, so after seeing so many of the restores done here, I knew I could bring this one back to life.

I sliced off the bristles, then used a Forstner bit to drill out the remaining knot base…it was solid for about a centimeter. I drilled through the floor of the brush handle into the hollow. I filled the hollow with cork pieces and 24 hour set System Three epoxy to a level that would give me a 42mm loft on the Best Badger knot. Once that had cured overnight I set the 18mm knot. This old handle could have taken a 20mm knot if I had enlarged the original hole just a tiny bit.

I used it for this mornings shave and it worked very well….having my old Red and White handle back in hand was a bonus too.

I polished the plastic with Wenol (Flitz type polish) on a rag. I polished it hard enough to partially remove some of the mold marks on the plastic. I did not polish the bottom where it is branded.

This was my old brush and it pretty good care for the past 35 years...just a couple of dings and no cracks.

Removing the knot was much harder then I imagined it would be. The glue used was very tough. I drilled out most of the knot but had to whittle out about 1mm of the material...it carved and was not brittle. I am not quite sure what it was as it did not cut like any epoxy I have ever seen.

I wish I had a whole sack of these old handles as they really do appeal to me.

I went off to college in 1974....this new brush, Old Spice mug with OS soap along with some forgettable razor (not DE) were my going away gifts. I kept and used the mug and brush but the razor got replaced periodically over the years.

I am glad to have this old handle back in rotation...with a vastly better knot then it ever had before.

I think it's great that you hung on to all of that. Now with the restore, you've given new life back to an old friend. One has to wonder how many mugs, brushes and razors were just thrown out at some point because someone thought they had lost all of their usefulness or moved on to the next "newer and better" thing. I think that's why I'm drawn to some of the vinatge pieces that are out there. Well, sorry for the ramble. Once again, I do like your restore.

By the way, just read the quote in your signature. It obviously states much more eloquently what I was trying to say.

Thanks....old Calvin had an unusual way with words, but that quote really sums up many things in my life.

This old handle has some great memories in it and I am glad to give it a new lease on life. I doubt I will get 35 years out of it again without another restore...the last decade it was not doing me many favors..but I honestly did not even consider tossing it out.

Finding B&B and seeing some of the restores, plus Tony's wonderful knots was a perfect thing.

Top Bottom