What's new

Becoming desensitized

When smelling myself (discreetly) throughout the day to see how my cologne is doing, I think I may sometimes become desensitized to the scent. I usually only use a single spray as to not offend anyone, but just want to make sure the scent is still around.

Yesterday I used a single spray in the morning and could still detect it at night. Today I could barely notice it by noon, and when I re-applied, I could still hardly pick it up.

Does this or anything similar happen to anyone else here? I simply want to make sure that the fragrance is present, but not overpower anyone who is around. Do you think a single spray is enough? (fyi, the cologne in question is SCS Sandalwood).

Are you becoming desensitized or is it the cologne going through a fast dry down? If it's an issue, check on Basenotes to see what others say about it. Some frags really vanish quickly.

It's a physiologic mechanism that your nose stops picking up a scent after awhile, so you have to be careful not to put too much on. One spray is enough of some colognes but not enough of others. I've never tried the cologne in question, so I can't say, but I'd guess two sprays would be OK (based on other SCS scents I have tried).

Do you know somebody who can smell for you at midday? Maybe you could ask somebody whether they can smell it.

I think my sensitivity is changing day to day. It's not a fast dry-down because I've had days, as I've said, that I didn't change how much I put on, and I could smell it all day.

Sitting here and while some work I conducted an experiment. I did a spray on my wrist and have been smelling it throught my work. Although, its only been a few hours, I can only barely pick it up when I put my nose right to my wrist.

Must be me.

One good test for longevity is to put a spray on your wrist just before bed, then check it when you wake up in the morning. If the aroma is still there, it lasts. This gets around the desensitizing phenomena.

I have pretty much become desensitized to just about every scent unless my nose is up to the actual bottle.

Whenever I buy something new I always ask someone if they can smell it on me, and if I need to use less...

I have pretty much become desensitized to just about every scent unless my nose is up to the actual bottle.

Whenever I buy something new I always ask someone if they can smell it on me, and if I need to use less...

This pretty much says it all. I think you just get use to whatever scent you're using. With any cologne its best not to take a bath in it. :001_tongu :hand:

Top Bottom