What's new

Hair regrowing faster

My Wife shaved her legs last night and was BBS! :smile:
Tonight there is stubble already growing back.
She said when she used to use a M3 it took 3 days or so before stubble was felt
She used a Merkur Long Handle with Feather blades. She went N-S,ATG and S-N.
Hey she wanted me to ask.:001_wub:

My Wife shaved her legs last night and was BBS! :smile:
Tonight there is stubble already growing back.
She said when she used to use a M3 it took 3 days or so before stubble was felt
She used a Merkur Long Handle with Feather blades. She went N-S,ATG and S-N.
Hey she wanted me to ask.:001_wub:

My guess is that, as I understand it, a DE razor shaves hairs off only to skin level whereas a multi-blade such as an M3, pulls the hair out a bit then cuts it so that it retracts to below skin level So.... her hair's growing at the same rate, it's just not retracting to below skin level and so has to grow less to turn into stubble.

Okay, then how can we, as DE'rs claim such AMAZING BBS shaves when the simple truth is that these multi-blades cut better?

I had to switch back to a triple-blade headblade for my head this week after taking several chunks out of my head and way too much time out of my day trying to DE shave my head. God, it was like coming home. I love the smooth, fast glide.

The only benefit I can see, albeit in my current negative mood, is that DE might be better for some people in regard to ingrown hair, and that it's a "luxurious" but unneeded hobby to feed the hobby addicts that jump from one obsession to the next (myself included).

I never got the impression from being here, that you couldn't use whatever razor you wanted. You could use edge gel and a bic. I am new, and from what I can gather, yea, a lot of this is practical hobby.

I could get great time keeping from my quartz watches, but I like my mechanicals. They will never keep as good of time as the quartz, but I like how they work, their history etc.

Same with shaving. I am not sure how my DE will do on my face. I do know I like the brush, and I think it will be a neat hobby as well as a practical use.

If you really want hair eliminated. Laser it, or use an exfolliant.

I don't know you, and I am not trying to come down on you, but I think your expectations of what this really is, are a little off.

Marty

Okay, then how can we, as DE'rs claim such AMAZING BBS shaves when the simple truth is that these multi-blades cut better?

I had to switch back to a triple-blade headblade for my head this week after taking several chunks out of my head and way too much time out of my day trying to DE shave my head. God, it was like coming home. I love the smooth, fast glide.

The only benefit I can see, albeit in my current negative mood, is that DE might be better for some people in regard to ingrown hair, and that it's a "luxurious" but unneeded hobby to feed the hobby addicts that jump from one obsession to the next.

The multi blades do perform better for some people when shaving their face.
I use one for my head due to its ease of use and the fact I can go on 'autopilot' and save time.

As a long time sufferer from ingrown hairs(which is no minor matter), shaving with a DE is life changing. No more itching, scratching, pimple popping, hair picking, and tweezing. Plus, no more facial pain or embarassment when meeting new people.

What's wrong with a luxurious hobby that improves the quality of one's life? The main motto on this site is find what works for you and stick with it. That ultimately is what counts the most. If your significant other enjoys her legs being BBs longer, she can return to the multi blade-its what works best for her. And we won't send the "DE Militia" over because she does. :biggrin:

Marty

I think it is an ingrown hair thing... when a multiblade pulls the hair out and cuts below the surface of the skin, some folks get the ingrowns.. I think you are either prone to them or not and I have also noticed (back when I was still shaving... ) that different parts would have ingrowns and others never would. I don't think I Ever got an ingrown on my legs..... but other places.... :001_rolle :eek:

I don't think I Ever got an ingrown on my legs..... but other places.... :001_rolle :eek:
Your back? :huh:

I get a much smoother result with a M3 anywhere I shave.
For me the reson for switching to a DE was the high cost of cartridges and a problem with ingrowns.
I am so glad I made the switch. But I still keep the M3 around. You never know...

For me, the Mach 3 did give a closer shave, but the shave I got prevented me from shaving again for about three days. Just could not shave any which way without irritation until the hair had recovered and gotten pretty long again. Don't know why.

With the DE, I can shave every day, but I really have to work at it to get it as close, and it still grows back faster.

Also, the cheapness. Can't forget the cheapness.

Alex

For me, the Mach 3 did give a closer shave, but the shave I got prevented me from shaving again for about three days. Just could not shave any which way without irritation until the hair had recovered and gotten pretty long again. Don't know why.

With the DE, I can shave every day, but I really have to work at it to get it as close, and it still grows back faster.

Also, the cheapness. Can't forget the cheapness.

Alex

Your post reflects my thoughts perfectly. Nice to see this thread. I apologize for my cranky sounding post above though- my head looks like a battlefield between DE gouges and playing with headblade techniques (triple row gouges).. I don't want to even leave the house it's so bad.. sigh..

Your post reflects my thoughts perfectly. Nice to see this thread. I apologize for my cranky sounding post above though- my head looks like a battlefield between DE gouges and playing with headblade techniques (triple row gouges).. I don't want to even leave the house it's so bad.. sigh..

I am worried that will happen to me too, but I feel the same way. I can't do a touch up shave with the M3, it has to be at least 2 days.

So here's hoping.

When you said that about how you look, I thought of Edward Scissorhands:001_tt2: When he shaves.

Marty

my beard is such, that it grows back fast no matter what kind of razor I use. With a DE, I definitely improved the quality of my shave and also my skin no longer has any issues with rashes, irritation, or ingrown hairs. I do have to admit that a Mach 3 might have been easier to use, and even quicker, but for me, a shave is a pleasure that I like to take my time in the morning with, to get the maximum enjoyment. I found that with a Mach 3, the shave was finished before I knew it.

Jeff

i definately get better shaves with a DE over a mach 3 it was that way from the beginning. but like what was mentioned before, shave with whatever device you want to... just enjoy the shaves and experiment with different creams and soaps and it'll be that much better of an experience.

I've never been much of a fan of the Mach 3 but I have used the Gillette Sensor extensively for several years and was pretty pleased with it. See, I started DE shaving as a teenager but somehow lost my way in the '80s with the introduction of disposable razors. I rediscovered DE shaving a year and a half ago and have been enjoying it tremendously. For me, I get a better shave with my DE than I do with my Gillette Sensor. The Sensor leaves my face feeling smooth with 2 passes but the stubble returns much quicker than when I use a DE with 3 passes.

We are all different and what works for one won't may not work for all. Wetshaving is not rocket science [for me at least]. I just really enjoy making lather in a mug then lavishly applying it to my face with a nice Badger hair brush. I enjoy the lathering as much as the shaving, maybe more so. I sometimes have to remind myself to stop painting on lather and start shaving, and I know some of you suffer from the same addiction [you know who you are].

I still have my Sensor and still use it occasionally, if I'm in a hurry, or just want to remind myself of why I returned to the DE. I've even got a M3 handle somewhere, just haven't had any cartridges in ages. I love my Merkur Classic, 1904 and HD and won't easily give them up again! I've become a bit nostalgic about my shaving...and am enjoying every minute of it! Just my 2 cents. YMMV.

Top Bottom