What's new

Roger et Gallet L'Homme

Is this still available anywhere in the world? Back in the day (mid 80s) this EdT and cologne was one of my all time favorites. I had used the ASB in this fragrance as well.

Alas, my interest in fine fragrances had diminished for a while and R&G seemed to more or less disappear from Canada. Is there anything that would be similar to L'Homme now?

oldblue
(but you can call me Jim)

Hi oldblue,

I've had issues tracking down R&G products both in Canada and the US. The R&G fragrance and soap line is supposed to be carried by The Bay in Canada, though I've had no luck getting info from my local store, nor a reply to an email sent to their national customer service desk.

R&G L'homme is, apparently, still in production. I remember it being a lot like R&G Open (much easier to find),but without the soapiness of Open.

A recent scent that I have found that reminds both of L'homme and Open is "Spirit" by Anthony Logistics. It has great herbal/woodsy character, and is completely dry (no soapiness). Dries down to a nice leather/musk.

I've got R&G L'homme on my list of things I'm on the lookout for. If I ever come across it, I'll PM you the coordinates.

------------
alan

Found this on the web.

Roger & Gallet has launched L’Homme Sport, a flanker to 1979’s Roger & Gallet L’Homme. The new version is said to be faithful to the spirit of the original, but purer and fresher.

L’Homme Sport features notes of grapefruit, tea, pink pepper, cardamom, vetiver and woody-amber notes.

Roger & Gallet L’Homme Sport is available in 100 ml Eau de Toilette, and can be found now at Escentual in the UK. (via beaute-addict, escentual)

Hi oldblue,

I've had issues tracking down R&G products both in Canada and the US. The R&G fragrance and soap line is supposed to be carried by The Bay in Canada, though I've had no luck getting info from my local store, nor a reply to an email sent to their national customer service desk.

R&G L'homme is, apparently, still in production. I remember it being a lot like R&G Open (much easier to find),but without the soapiness of Open.

A recent scent that I have found that reminds both of L'homme and Open is "Spirit" by Anthony Logistics. It has great herbal/woodsy character, and is completely dry (no soapiness). Dries down to a nice leather/musk.

I've got R&G L'homme on my list of things I'm on the lookout for. If I ever come across it, I'll PM you the coordinates.

------------
alan

To Alan, thank you! I would love to be able to try the shave soap in the L'Homme fragrance as well.

I find it puzzling that R&G is so hard to find now. It's a fairly old and well established company.

Found this on the web.

Roger & Gallet has launched L’Homme Sport, a flanker to 1979’s Roger & Gallet L’Homme. The new version is said to be faithful to the spirit of the original, but purer and fresher.

L’Homme Sport features notes of grapefruit, tea, pink pepper, cardamom, vetiver and woody-amber notes.

Roger & Gallet L’Homme Sport is available in 100 ml Eau de Toilette, and can be found now at Escentual in the UK. (via beaute-addict, escentual)

Hmm, this sounds somewhat promising. I will have to investigate further.

oldblue

The plot thickens:

Found this May 2009 blurb on the Elle Canada website:

Roger & Gallet, the French purveyor of natural beauty soaps and fragrances, has been pampering royals and civilians alike for more than 200 years. Now, the brand -- a favourite of Queen Victoria and Napoleon Bonaparte -- is embarking on an aggressive plan to modernize its image. In October, Roger & Gallet debuted a shop inside Montreal's Ogilvy department store; by the end of next year, it will open 15 more stores across the United States, Asia and Europe, including a flagship boutique in Paris.

Looks like R&G are taking things into their own hands. While they have an admirable brand upon which to build, I seriously question their timing. Nothing like opening a chain of upmarket luxury soap and frag boutiques in the middle of a recession!

This would explain why they are hard to find these days. The're likely paring down their offerings to resellers in the hope of eventually selling through their own bricks-and-mortar stores and their own website.

I hope that they can weather the ill-advised timing of this venture. Would be a shame to see bad things happen to them.

---------
alan

W

whorwood

Roger et Gallet L'homme can be found at woodruffs.co.uk. It has now been reboxed I gather, but when I received it I was pleased to smell that the old favourite fragrance has been kept. Used it for many years and glad that I can continue.

Top Bottom