What's new

A couple of weeks in now!

I can't keep track of time, but I think I'm into week 2 of wet shaving. I'm loving it, and I think I've got a routine going. I'm using Feathers now, and find them quite nice. I've got my lather from my Harris Arlington soap quite nice as well, having followed the tutorial on the Soap page.

As for routine, I've eschewed WTG and XTG in favour of against the grain for my first pass on my face, but WTG on my neck. I find my cheeks are done after one pass against with the feathers, but my neck is a bit more sensitive so I go WTG before I come back and go cross or against.

I'm spending a lot of time (not that I mind) touching up individual areas, like under my lip, around my nose, under my chin and my jawline. These have always been tricky areas for me, but wet shaving is so fun and relaxing, I look forward to finding missed spots so I can lather up and do it again!

I soak a small ceramic bowl I bought at a pottery show in hot water while I shower, and my lather stays warm for the entire 4 or so passes I end up doing in total. The feel of warm lather from a warm brush is magnificent! Harris soap rocks!

I think I'll be sticking with this regimen, though I'll polish it up as I learn more.

Thanks for reading!

sounds good!

though do you think that you might be having to go back for those touchups because you go straight to ATG?

sounds good!

though do you think that you might be having to go back for those touchups because you go straight to ATG?

The touch-ups are always generally around the jawline (on the under part) and under the bottom lip, which I have no idea how to do! My cheeks, where I go ATG from the start, are fine. I'm having trouble with the underside of the jawline and the area around the chin and under the bottom lip. I need to go ATG there to get close, but it's nigh impossible without major razor burn or cuts!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
The touch-ups are always generally around the jawline (on the under part) and under the bottom lip, which I have no idea how to do! My cheeks, where I go ATG from the start, are fine. I'm having trouble with the underside of the jawline and the area around the chin and under the bottom lip. I need to go ATG there to get close, but it's nigh impossible without major razor burn or cuts!

You need to really watch your razor angle there, because your holding it in a different position than you would on your cheeks etc.
Smaller strokes can help, like "blade buffing" shown in Mantics advanced techniques video.

You need to really watch your razor angle there, because your holding it in a different position than you would on your cheeks etc.
Smaller strokes can help, like "blade buffing" shown in Mantics advanced techniques video.

+1. The jawline is a strange place, but once you learn it and how to move the blade around those contours, you will be fine. It just takes some practice, and watching Mantic's videos is a good idea--he has some good technique, so pay attention to how he moves the razor. It might help you with your face as well.

Top Bottom