What's new

"The Best Thing That Ever Happened To Me" Contest

My future wife accepting my nervous request for a date (she was and is totally out of my league). This led to the best 13 years of my life and my beautiful daughter. Everything else good that happens is a result of this.

Last edited:
The best thing that ever happened to me... this is a no brainer.

About 5 years ago I was delivering pizzas in Gainesville to get myself through college. It was a 24 hour place, so we definitely saw people at their best-- especially after 2 AM when the bars closed.

One night I was delivering and I happened to deliver to a young lady who was extremely cute and a little drunk. We were talking and I was sure she was flirting with me. I wanted to ask her out, but couldn't get the courage to do so. She was on my mind almost constantly after that day.

About a month later, I saw her address show up in the computer again. I tried to arrange things so I would get to her delivery, but none of the other drivers were willing to swap deliveries. As luck would have it, someone was in the bathroom when her order came up so they got skipped and I got to take the delivery!

The whole way there I was trying to figure out just what to say. Should I be upfront about it? Should I wait to see how she responded to my being there? Am I just imagining the whole thing?! She answered the door and.... I CHICKENED OUT! I DIDN"T SAY ANYTHING!!! I think I made some crappy "fancy running into you here" line and that was about it...

I left and immediately started to kick myself for not having the courage to say anything. About 10 minutes later I relized that I had her phone number on the delivery package slip. I gave her a call, sheepishly asked her out and she LAUGHED AT ME!!!!! ...But she said yes.

We've been dating since, and living together for the last 3 years. We've built a nice life together and I'm going to ask her to marry me soon.

So meeting my future wife is the best thing that ever happened to me!

Meeting the love of my life, The person who holds it all together. My soft place to land when the times are tuff the mother of our childeren and most of all the one who I am proud to call my loving wife.

thus far....I became a nurse. I quite my job, went back to school and became a nurse. Incredibly difficult work, non-stop, and be life and death kinda thing....I'm loving it!

Getting married and finding B&B in the same month..... My wife is someone I'm grateful to have met almost every day. She puts up with my Harley and my slight shaving addiction. We're both looking forward to the future together and having a family someday.

Meeting my girlfriend. I changed a lot for the better after meeting her; she didn't make me change, I started to want to

Seeing how we've been married for 32 years, I will say absolutely it was meeting my girlfriend, er...wife. Still feels like my girlfriend. We are kids at heart.

Meeting one of my best friends a few years ago, who was/is a huge moped/motorcycle fan, so he got me into motorcycles.
Taking my bike out for a drive makes me forget all of my problems, and nothing that makes me happier then going out for a drive together with him. :)

The best thing that ever happened to me was meeting my wife. Our fathers may be the one's that teach us about being a man, but it's wives that teach how to put that knowledge into action.

This is going to sound odd. The best thing that ever happened to me is meeting a particular friend of mine back in high school. At the time, she was tremendously supportive and she pushed me in a way that I really needed. We read each others' college essays, we commiserated about all of all work, and I was with her when we got our acceptance notices.

She and I dated for a while, but that didn't work out. We stayed friends though. There's been stretches during which we've stopped talking, and in fact I actually just made contact with her again recently. We've had some big disagreements, but she's been a tremendous positive influence.

However the main reason, far and away, that meeting this old friend was so important is because she introduced me to the girl that I'm dating now. And the girl I'm dating now WOULD be the best thing that ever happened to me, it's just that there's no conceivable way I could have met this girl if not for meeting this friend of mine first.

Last edited:
The best thing that ever happened to me was realizing sooner than later that when I was in my teens I was hanging out with a rough crowd of kids in my neighborhood. Most of them went in and out of jail, sold heavy drugs, we used to do pills, coke smoked weed until we couldn't put a sentence together and just abused many things, ate mushrooms, ecstasy, stole, I mean the list goes on. We used to fight other kids from the city just because we were from the east side and kids from "Port" and "Coast" couldn't walk through our part of the city without consequences. Kind of embarrassing now that I look at it and I realized now at 23 dropping that crowd was the best thing ever to happen to me in my life. I follow up with some of them and most of them are in jail or are on the run to avoid jail time. I dropped out of high school when I was younger because hanging with my friends and getting stoned and drunk was more important and after hanging with them ended up going back to get my high school diploma. I am actually enrolling this coming spring to a college for the first time in my life and look forward to it. I landed a job for a big bio tech firm and I make more money than most kids I know with a college degree my age. By far the best thing to ever happened to me.

In chronological order:

Earning my bachelor's degree.

Getting married.

Holding both my sons right after they were born.

I am blessed.

Without a doubt the adoption of my son.

After years of infertility and various treatments to fix said infertility. I suggested to my wife that we adopt a little girl from China. We started the adoption process about 5 or so years ago. Its been so long I cant remember exactly. We applied for a healthy baby girl, which we waited four years to get. She never came. The Chinese adoption process is an exhausting experience. After 4 years in we were told we would have to wait at least another year maybe more for a girl. Or we could go the Special Needs route and speed the process up quite a bit. They asked if we could accept a boy instead of a girl. That Chinese boys with special needs are the one thing looked down upon worse than a girl. They provided us a list of over 100 medical and emotional issues. That was a heart breaking list to weed through...

We decided Cleft Lip & Palate should be easy to manage. It took me a bit of time to come to terms with selecting a boy over a girl. Mostly because I had already envisioned her for years. Anyway, shortly after we submitted the Special Needs request, we were matched with a little boy from Kunming, Yunnan Province in China. His lip was a mess and palate not much better. We had 24hrs to say yes or no. We said yes obviously so then it began the new path to our son. Which led us on a 3+ week long trip to China. A trip I will never forget.

Here is a picture with my son with his foster father on the day we got him...

proxy.php

Here is a picture of him now...

proxy.php

Even though the path to him was painful and heartbreaking at times. My son, is the best thing that ever happened to both my wife and I.

The best thing that ever happened to me was the birth the birth of my triplets, after an unsuccesfull eight years of trying to conceive, wife has PSO, we were shocked when one of the treatments actually worked, and how! We now have five kids, and life is never dull.

The best thing that ever happened to me was earning my University degree. I started at 30 and finished a double major in 4 years. My father was ill in my last year and passed away a few weeks after I finished my last exam but I was able to show him my 'report card'. It is difficult to come up with words to express the experience of pride and happiness I shared with him. It completely changed my life.

Last edited:
This one's easy.

The birth of my two sons are the best things that have ever happened to me; no contest. Call it cliche, but Fatherhood has brought me more pleasure and and more pride than any other experience.

My older son just turned 21, is a senior in college and is in the process of applying to law school. He's also an accomplished musician, plays guitar and keyboards, and writes and performs his own material. He looks like his mom, but he thinks and acts just like me.

My younger one is 17, a senior in high school, and applying to college. He's captain of the varsity tennis team, and intends to major in animal sciences and go on to vet school. It is scary how much he resembles me physically at his age.

These two guys are my best friends in the world. They understand me better than anyone and, of course, I understand them better than they understand themselves. They are, in some ways, as different as night and day yet, in others, they are clearly cut from the same cloth. I get misty when I think about how quickly the time has gone by, and that in a just a few more short years they will both be out of the house and on their own. Although I pine for the days when they were just innocent little boys, I could not be more proud of how they have grown into responsible young adults.

That is what it is all about.

The best thing in my life is my wife. She is my friend and the mother of my three beautiful children, who come in a very close second. She has given me far more than I will ever be able to give her, and with her, life is complete. It will be 14 years in December, and some years have been better than others, but she makes them all worth while.

Top Bottom