What's new

"The Best Thing That Ever Happened To Me" Contest

I'm not married and don't have any kids. Plus, I have relatively little life experience.

I would say that so far, the best thing was joining a fraternity in college. Most people think it's all about getting drunk and sleeping with tons of girls, but the reality is that it offers a ton of opportunities that most people would not get to experience.

That and maybe yesterday, when I found my old digital camera that I thought was stolen out of my dorm room years ago.

I think the best thing that ever happened to me was convincing my then girlfriend to marry me. We just passed our 25th anniversary last month!

The best thing that ever happened to me was passing the CPA exam on the first try because I would never have to endure that experience again. It was the most difficult undertaking I ever experienced.

The best thing that happened to me was walking into my high school sophomore history as a mid-year transfer student and being forced to sit in the only seat available.

I didn't know it at the time, but I ended up sitting in front of a girl who 9 years later would become my wife.

--Dennis

Best thing that has happened to me so far stems from my decision to get a good woman instead of all those crazy chicks I used to affiliate with. Found a great one, and we've been together for over 13 years now. All the other great things in my life have this one event as an influencing part of them.

Life is good :)

Being able to travel back to Florida with my mom and support here while my grandmother was under hospice care. It was rough and painful to watch her wither away, but when we first arrived in the hospital room set aside for her she regained consciousness for a few minutes and looked around saying that she had heard her little Earl-o and asking where I was. At this point I was 26 and had not seen her since I was 13 or so. It was humbling and beautiful and still makes me cry.

The best thing that ever happened to me was when a generous neighbour offered his unused motorcycle one summer for my long daily commutes. I earned my motorcycle endorsement that year and I have enjoyed riding ever since (+25 yrs). There's nothing like going on a week long bike vacation with the wife to regenerate the whole system.

proxy.php

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Count me in!

The best thing that ever happened to me was meeting my (then) girlfriend at the end of senior year in high school... 6 years later, we're engaged and living together, and I could not live happily/at all without her.

Accepting Christ. I have had many wonderful things in my life: great wife, three beautiful healthy daughters, good job, etc., but without Him my life would have a big void in it.

The best thing that ever happened to me was quitting smoking this July, after 20 years of smoking a pack a day. I feel great for the first time in a long time!

Thanks B&B!!!

Not getting any part of my body crashed or disfigured in a pretty gorey motorcycle accident over a year ago when some idiot decided to make a u-turn into a stead stream of traffic, with me in the lead. I was incredibly lucky, and it made me realize that every single day is the time to live life to its fullest.

p.s. I have a conus address as well.

Accepting Jesus Christ as my saviour and trusting in him daily was the best thing that ever happened to me, without a doubt, i have a peace now knowing that the God of the universe cares about me

There are many best things that have happened to me, but the most recent 5 best things have been the births of my 5 grandchildren! May be many more, but at this point they are the best things that have happened.

It's hard to really reflect on the best thing that has ever happened to me when I try to compare the events of my life with all these husbands and fathers who have been blessed enough to find the love of their life and are lucky enough to have their own families. Being a Sophomore in college I'm sure the best moments of my life are far ahead of me, and I await them eagerly/(semi)patiently :001_tongu. I've seen some of my friends go off into the military and come back completely changed men and I have a huge amount of respect for anyone willing to put their life on the line for my benefit. In short, I am very humbled by some of the experiences listed in this thread, but I'll get to the point, and add my own.

I've had some past family members who had a love for Aviation, and while I never really considered it as a career option, I was offered a chance to front-seat on a small seaplane when I was about 12. I was allowed to actually fly it for a minute or two as well, and I was instantly hooked :001_smile

Fast forward 7 years and after completely ground school and a good bit of VFR training I was practicing traffic pattern work and refining my take offs, climb-outs, and landings under the careful guidance of my CFI (certified flight instructor). Upon my 3rd landing at EWB (New Bedford Regional, MA) my instructor (read: Safety Net) of the past couple months opened the door and jumped out without warning as I was stopped and cleaning up the airplane for a taxi back to runway 23. He looked at me from the ground, gave me a wink, and said "I'd like to see three more just like that last one." Turned around, and walked off towards the ramp to observe and take pictures.

Probably the most nervous I've ever been in my life, but I figured if he was confident enough in me to let me fly on my own that I was ready. Called up tower at the hold short line and was cleared for a normal VFR take off and to make left closed traffic. Without my instructor next to me and the aircraft being a good 200lbs lighter the thing practically jumped off the ground.

I was only aloft for .7 hours but managed to snap a couple pictures of myself :biggrin1:

It's been a while since that first solo, and I've had some adventures since then, but I've never experienced anything like the feeling of being Pilot in Command for that very first time. Back on the ground when I taxied back and parked her at the ramp (my Cessna 172R, tail number N690DW) I was met by all the schools flight instructors, examiners, and even the chief pilot. After having the back of my shirt cut out and signed by everyone, I shook hands with everyone and thanked them all. They're a tough bunch, always drilling knowledge into us student pilots, but we all know it's for the best, and look forward to drilling knowledge into students of our own someday :wink2:

Last weekend when I was up on a ladder, fixing a few shingles that had blown off the side of the house, I was at the peak (34 feet up) and the ladder snapped in half. It broke in such a way that the top of the ladder slid against the house instead of falling backwards, and when it finally stopped I was able to climb down without being injured. :scared:

So, I'd say not dying would be the best thing that ever happened to me.

That one is easy. Meeting and marrying my wife. From her, through her, and with her I have experienced everything else that is beautiful and meaningful in my life.

Bruce

No doubt for me -- it was marrying my wonderful wife, Susan. We are at 38 years and counting and it still gets better.

Besides our two kids, the most incredible thing has been her support when we went on for foreign assignments, including four years in Taiwan, where we got involved in foster care for children in the adoption process. We had a total of 19 children from a few days to a year and we have had the good fortune to stay close to several of the families and they have become like extended family.

The oldest kids are now 10 years old. At the end of August, we had a reunion in Australia with a family from Holland and 5 families from eastern Australia.

Top Bottom