What's new

Speick Shave Stick - !

I just bought another refill of D.R. Harris Arlington and decided to throw in a Speick shave stick as well. I've been wetshaving well over two years now and have tried over one hundred soaps and creams, but have NEVER tried the Speick shave stick. Go figure :mellow:

For the record, I am not a big fan of shaving sticks. I've tried a few others with a decent rate of success, but they never really turned my gears like a puck of soap. Sure, they're convenient, but often offer a poor value and the method of application takes some getting used to.

First off, I was amazed just how tiny this little thing is - 50g! That's half the size of a D.R. Harris puck. I nearly felt ripped off paying $5.50 for it, but realized it has a fair amount of value to it.

I decide to give her a whirl. A tiny little ceramic dish, the kind they serve wasabi in at Japanese steakhouses, was used to hold a few milliliters of water and soak the stick upside down in. I plopped my brush in it's rightful soaking glass and let them sit there while I took a shower.

After making sure my face was thoroughly wet, I grabbed the stick and did a quick once over against the grain. I took my brush, let it drip out a bit more than usual and started to go over my face.

HOLY *enter favorite expletive* !!! I was NOT expecting this kind of lather from this tiny little stick! This stuff literally exploded just as if I were loading my brush from a puck of soap. I've used other sticks that gave pretty good lather, but this was unreal! And the feeling on my face was...unique? The sensation was very, very gentle; the texture silky smooth. I don't think I've experienced that in a soap before. Very interesting, but very, very nice.

Stropped up the Sheffield and went to work. Man, this stuff is smooooth! I got a good deal of protection and holy moly does this soap cut close. Again, the sensation when shaving with it is...different. Very enjoyable, nonetheless. After two passes, no touch-up was necessary and I was BBS all over. The razor didn't even seem to be touching my face; whiskers just fell off.

I'm wholly impressed. I didn't realize what I was missing in Speick soap. This stuff is as good as any other top-shelf product, and the unique feeling during the shave adds an extra bit of luxury to the shave. Am I the only one that thinks it feels "different"?

Whatever, anyway. Highly recommended!

That's a tough one, but I'm going to have to go with D.R. Harris Arlington when it comes to soaps. I've converted a few friends to wetshaving and have given away practically all but a couple of my soaps, creams and aftershaves. I went from "I think I may have a problem here and need counseling" to shaving minimalist :001_tongu

That's a tough one, but I'm going to have to go with D.R. Harris Arlington when it comes to soaps. I've converted a few friends to wetshaving and have given away practically all but a couple of my soaps, creams and aftershaves. I went from "I think I may have a problem here and need counseling" to shaving minimalist :001_tongu

I shaved for 10+ years with just one soap (I didn't know others existed) so I've gone a bit crazy. Not 100 crazy, but about 10 creams crazy.

Speick is amazing stuff, and I have a 1/3 tub of Arlington Cream coming my way (free when I bought some other stuff). I need a new brush (5-7 years on a $20 Savile Row) and then I'll stop buying new stuff..... I hope. :bored:

Speick is good. Very good. The stick is good. The cream is good. The aftershave splash is good. I like Speick.

do you get different stuff in the shave stick as opposed to the puck? I mean, is it a different formula or just in a different shape?

just curious.

i wouldnt nuke it - shes tallow. just grate and smush.

I had the same reaction with arko as you (and I) had with speick.

Some sticks are just amazing

Sweet review! I've a Speick stick languishing in my treasure trove of shave gear, just waiting for me to either go traveling abroad or finish off the Arko stick I'm currently working on. I may just jump the gun and pop that sucker out of it's wrapper sooner rather than later...

I'd strongly recommend checking out Arko, by the way. Same kind of soap explosion goodness.

Sweet review! I've a Speick stick languishing in my treasure trove of shave gear, just waiting for me to either go traveling abroad or finish off the Arko stick I'm currently working on. I'd strongly recommend checking out Arko, by the way. Same kind of soap explosion goodness.

You are actually WAITING until you finish the Arko? You are much stronger than me! I got my Speick in the mail, smelled, and wanted to run home and shave! Unfortunately I shave about an hour before I got.

Speick is good. Very good. The stick is good. The cream is good. The aftershave splash is good. I like Speick.

Very Hemmingwayesque!

The Speick stick is a fantastic performer and a bargain - I'm surprised it doesn't get more press. I also like the complex, slightly spicy scent as well.

If you are either or both a tallow or stick fan, this is one that should be on your short list.

I'm wholly impressed. I didn't realize what I was missing in Speick soap. This stuff is as good as any other top-shelf product, and the unique feeling during the shave adds an extra bit of luxury to the shave. Am I the only one that thinks it feels "different"?

Same here, though I like the cream even more.
As for the different feeling: it's definitely there, and if you enyou it, you absolutely have to treat yourself with/to (not sure about the right preposition here...) the Speick Aftershave. Fantastic stuff, and the feeling of a complete Speick shave has to be experienced to be believed.

Same here, though I like the cream even more.
As for the different feeling: it's definitely there, and if you enyou it, you absolutely have to treat yourself with/to (not sure about the right preposition here...) the Speick Aftershave. Fantastic stuff, and the feeling of a complete Speick shave has to be experienced to be believed.

Does the Aftershave have alcohol, and if so, how much?

Top Bottom