What's new

repairing or refurbishing straights

is there a webpage anywhere that gives hints/instructions on how to repair or refurbish straight razors?

TIA

Nick

thanks!

these were very helpful for replacing (making) scales

can anyone give me some tips on how to clean up the blade? xxxx steel wool perhaps?

thanks again
nick

sandpaper... you can buy the lower grits from local hardware stores and the higher grits from auto part stores such as pep-boys etc etc.

start with the highest grit sand paper that will remove the gunk/rust/pitting that you want to remove.. move up the sand paper grit steps.. then buff with a metal polish (not liquid... you want to use a paste type) such as MAAS(can be bought at walmart) or simichrome.

my personal steps are:

220 grit (if needed)
400 grit
600 grit
800 grit
1000 grit
1500 grit
2000 grit

buff with Fabulustre (metal buffing compound similar to jewelers rogue)
then buff with metal polish (simichrome)

the results are amazing. the key to making it look mirror perfect is to spend enough time at each grit size in order to completely remove the previous grit lines. im talking 1hr + at each grit size, especially for the lower grit numbers.

if you do not want the perfect mirror finish you can go back over it after you do all the steps with some 600 and 800 sandpaper and that will put back onto the blade the "grind" marks that are on some blades if you are into that.

hope that helps,
~J

thats really helpful - thank you

i was looking at some of the cheaper ones on ebay and i note from reading the forums that some of the ones that are good shavers need a little work looks wise.
getting them sharp should not be a problem (i've been sharpening planes for doing bamboo rods) but getting them looking 'sharp' :001_tt1: as well is a new trick for me to learn!

A

:punk: :devil:

I have gone the sandpaper route and buffing wheels. I like using three cotton buffing wheels designated to, a cutting rouge, white rouge, finally, green rouge. Its fast cheap and I get a mirror finish from most oldies.

Always OFF the edge.

I have got a razor that I am going to use the Bogartus method on. Lynn Abrams also recommends Maas metal cleaning paste that you can readily acquire at Home Depot. He uses it with a Dremmel buffing bit.
Steve

Personally, I find Flitz superior to Mass, and Flitz has superb anti-rust/corrosion properties as well. While both will work, and work well - if you are going to get one or the other, I would strongly suggest flitz.

Hope this helps :smile:

I have got a razor that I am going to use the Bogartus method on. Lynn Abrams also recommends Maas metal cleaning paste that you can readily acquire at Home Depot. He uses it with a Dremmel buffing bit.
Steve

I have a few pictures in the (Member's Categories) of razors cleaned up with this method. If youu are interested.

Top Bottom