What's new

Just getting started.

Hello all. I must say there is a wealth of knowledge on this forum. I am about to get into wet shaving for the first time. I had asked my wife for some products over a year ago and we never moved forward. Then I just found this forum. I have been reading and researching this forum for about a week now.

Past habbits:
Mach 5/3
Gillette Fusion Gel
Aveeno Gel

The reason for the recent need to change: I am a law student and have been interning at a law firm. Since starting work at the firm I shave everyday to keep a clean look. I have started to notice that by 6 in the evening I have noticeable stubble. This was something I never had before I started shaving daily. I need to look clean throughout the day and my current grooming habits aren't cutting it.

So here is my plan:
Ordered:
Soap:
L'Occitane Cade Shave soap with the shiny metal bowl. Ordered it with some of wife and mom's Christmas gifts today.

The following is part of my Christmas list:
One of the following:
Razor:Merkur 38R, 38B, or 34C. I found them all equal, so I will let her choose to surprise me for Christmas.

One of the following:
Omega Professional Boar Shaving Brush

One of the following:
Penworks brand brush 22 or 24mm finest hair
pick one she likes the looks of and stay under $50-want her to feel like she is a part of this, so i can get more stuff here. I e-mailed QED, Charles did not have any selects left.

Plan to purchase on my own:
Latte mug from Target for lathering my soap.

How does this sound to all of you? Also is there anything you would recommend that I am missing? I haven't figured out if I need a stand or if I can just put the brush vertical in a towel in the sink drawer.

Thank you all for the great advice on this forum.

I like most of your choices, and the Penworks brushes are wonderful, beautiful, brushes that are top performers.

I think you should be aware though, that a 24mm brush is quite large. I haven't compared them side by side, but based upon what I have read, the 24 mm is quite a bit bigger than the 22mm. I have the 22mm, and am phenomenally pleased with it.

Welcome to B&B,

you have some great shave gear outlined that will serve you well & will take you where you want to go.

How about an aftershave? Maybe Proraso Pre/Post paired with Proraso splash? Its neutral scented for the office, provides awesome skin care for the face & will sooth any razor burn or red irritation you may encounter

Enjoy the shaves :thumbup1:

+1 on the blade sampler pack. I would also recommend that you go for either a 20mm or 22mm brush rather than 24mm. I had a 24mm for a while, and it was huge. I went to 20mm brushes, and love 'em.

Once again, YMMV...

Welcome!

All great replies. I forgot to include the sampler pack in my earlier post. I had told the wife a sampler pack under $20 from westcoastshaving.

Thanks for the information on the brush size. I will remove the 24 from my selection and tell her to only look at the 22.

I am really unsure where to go with aftershave. I have never used it before. I have some that came with my colognes and stuff and from a young age I just never used it because I didn't like the alcohol burn. I have very sensitive skin. Peel around nose from dryness if I don't use high quality lotions and prescription meds. I also get eczema on other parts of the body (not the face). So are the above referenced aftershaves good for such conditions or should I consider something designed for my sensitive skin?

Just to outline how sensitive my skin is. Sometimes a dab of cologne on my wrist will turn the spot I put the cologne red. Also if I wash dishes with anything other than palmolive (specifically Dawn) for more than a few days in a row, my fingers may peel.

Thanks.

Last edited:
welcome to the house
excellent help there from the previous posters
i would also rec you try semogue brushes from vintagescent
a great all round brush well worth a look:thumbup:

I think all the above about covers it! Then comes the practice makes perfect part...I think that's the best part! :) I've pretty much only used a DE since I was a teenager...and I've learned a lot here in my short time on the forum to make my shaves even better!..Best of luck...and all good choices on gear!! I will say +1 on the smaller brush for starters.

CC

Good luck and have fun but keep in mind that DE shaving might leave you more prone to five o'clock shadow than a cartridge or disposable would - the DE blade rides over your skin and cuts hair at the surface, instead of mashing down into skin to cut the hair deep like a disposable or a cart.

I have way more shadow now than I ever did with a disposable. But I am 10 years into my rather disappointing and uninspiring legal career and I am already to the point where I don't care if I look rumpled in the afternoon. :biggrin:

Be aware, changing to DE involves a learning experience. It's very likely you can expect worse shaves til you get your technique working.

I developed 5 o'clock stubble at midday for a while to begin with, and that's coming from cart shaving for many years. As one poster already said, DE doesn't cut beneath the skin either, so even if you get baby smooth, you can still show a little shadow.

Also, you mention sensitive skin. Look out for the products that cater for this. Proraso has been around forever and has a sensitive skin range. All their products get a lot of love on here.

AS isn't a necessity. If it doesn't/has never agreed with you, there are plenty of other options post shave - AS balm, Proraso pre/post cream, Witch Hazel and moisturiser, Thayers WHazel with Aloe vera in it...

Last edited:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
All great replies. I forgot to include the sampler pack in my earlier post. I had told the wife a sampler pack under $20 from westcoastshaving.

Thanks for the information on the brush size. I will remove the 24 from my selection and tell her to only look at the 22.

I am really unsure where to go with aftershave. I have never used it before. I have some that came with my colognes and stuff and from a young age I just never used it because I didn't like the alcohol burn. I have very sensitive skin. Peel around nose from dryness if I don't use high quality lotions and prescription meds. I also get eczema on other parts of the body (not the face). So are the above referenced aftershaves good for such conditions or should I consider something designed for my sensitive skin?

Just to outline how sensitive my skin is. Sometimes a dab of cologne on my wrist will turn the spot I put the cologne red. Also if I wash dishes with anything other than palmolive (specifically Dawn) for more than a few days in a row, my fingers may peel.

Thanks.

Welcome to B&B!

If you don't like the burning sensation, try the aftershave balm, like Nivea sensitive. Should get you there.

And, as mentionned, a razor blade sample pack is a must!

Hey welcome aboard! The items you've got picked out sound fine to me. And the advice on the blade sampler pack is of course good as well. Have fun!

Allow me to add my welcome to B & B. You would be well served to heed the advice from the posters. It sounds like you are putting together a very solid shaving kit. Just remember that the equipment. though an important component, is second to developing good technique. Once good technique is achieved, the world is your oyster. So wishing you a wonderful journey toward the Perfect Shave

Welcome aboard. I second the Nivea AS. That's all I use. The replenishing balm (has a little alcohol, but no sting) or the sensitive are both good choices.

Top Bottom