What's new

How to properly use a scuttle

I feel red for my ignorance, but how is scuttle used? I searched all over the new-b tutorials but couldn'e find anyhting. How is one properly used? Does the soap go in the top section of the old style? Or just hot water? I am confused by these a little.
-Mike

Hey Mike, what type of scuttle are you talking about as there are many. The old traditional ones have a place for soap, a depression usually with holes. And there is an opening to fill with hot water and soak your brush.

If you have an older style scuttle, that has a bowl like area with holes in it, you will sadly find it to be pretty useless in today's world.

This type of scuttle dates from an era when hot water was not readily available at the sink in the bathroom. One would fill the lower portion with piping hot water from the kitchen, and then carry the scuttle to the bathroom. The brush would be placed in the bottom to soak, and the soap puck sits on top where the holes are.

One would then take the brush that had been soaking, shake the brush out, and proceed to load the brush. You then face lather, or bowl lather as usual.

This type of scuttle is not at all designed to keep lather warm, as a modern day scuttle would be.

There are many posts on how to build a great lather which discuss using scuttles. In fact if you look at the sticky in this forum you should find a thread on lathering. It won't be long before you hit posts telling you how person a uses his scuttle, and you soon notice that everyone else uses it in pretty much the same way. There is not much difference in modern scuttles in terms of how they are used. I do something like this:

1. Fill the inner and outer bowls of my Dirty Bird or Moss Scuttle with hot water, then dunk my brush in the inner (topmost) bowl so it gets a good soaking.
2. Shower.
3. Empty the scuttle and refill with hot water.
4. Squeeze and/or shake out varying amounts of water from brush.
5. Squeeze a shave cream into the inner bowl.

or

5. Load my brush with a shaving soap, by swirling it in the separate soap container until loaded.
6. Swirl my brush into the inner bowl of the scuttle until I get lather. And I mean a nice, thick lather. This takes a lot of practice.
7. Apply the lathery loaded brush to my face and do some amount of face lathering too because I enjoy the feeling.
8. Continue following Kyle's Prep at this point.
8a. When the brush is not in use, rest it in the inner bowl of the scuttle so that the hot water in the outer bowl will transmit heat to the brush and lather, keeping both warm.
9. Shave.
10. Relather as needed.
11, Shave.
12. When the shave experience is done, carefully rinse out and wring out the brush.
13. Rinse out the scuttle and empty it. Allow it to air dry.

Of course, others may see flaws in my procedures. I'm quite a newbie myself. Feel free to correct me, folks!

--Bob

If you have an older style scuttle, that has a bowl like area with holes in it, you will sadly find it to be pretty useless in today's world.

This type of scuttle dates from an era when hot water was not readily available at the sink in the bathroom. One would fill the lower portion with piping hot water from the kitchen, and then carry the scuttle to the bathroom. The brush would be placed in the bottom to soak, and the soap puck sits on top where the holes are.

One would then take the brush that had been soaking, shake the brush out, and proceed to load the brush. You then face lather, or bowl lather as usual.

This type of scuttle is not at all designed to keep lather warm, as a modern day scuttle would be.

Right, and I have no experience with the older style scuttles. They were made for a very different home lifestyle I think. You know my wife has a book on Victorian living, and I wonder what it says about shaving, if anything. --Bob

Alright, I guess that really answered my question. It is an antique scuttle and it seems then that it has little use to me. Darn. I need a modern one. Are there only two shops that make them?
-Mike

I have an older style scuttle and quite enjoy it but I also have a soap puck small enough to sit in the top bowl(with the holes) quite well I just pour hot water in the bottom, soak my brush, and face lather resting the brush on the puck between passes and stays wonderfully warm through the whole shave.

Well, look on the buy, sell, trade ("BST") forums here, post a want-to-buy (WTB), and see what results. I do highly recommend both Julie and Sara. I use my Dirty Bird scuttle most of all. But I think my Moss scuttle is going to get some heavy use soon too.

One thing you could do that will benefit youngsters locally in your own town, is to find a pottery class in any of the local schools and ask each person in the class to make you a scuttle. Offer to pay for the pottery materials and kilning charges. Let each student decide on the specific design and colors, as long as a basic scuttle design is followed. Who knows, you might be very surprised and pleased with the results. And launch one or more crafts people on a pleasurable career path. Don't forget to show up at the class and say a big thank you. --Bob

Well, look on the buy, sell, trade ("BST") forums here, post a want-to-buy (WTB), and see what results. I do highly recommend both Julie and Sara. I use my Dirty Bird scuttle most of all. But I think my Moss scuttle is going to get some heavy use soon too.

One thing you could do that will benefit youngsters locally in your own town, is to find a pottery class in any of the local schools and ask each person in the class to make you a scuttle. Offer to pay for the pottery materials and kilning charges. Let each student decide on the specific design and colors, as long as a basic scuttle design is followed. Who knows, you might be very surprised and pleased with the results. And launch one or more crafts people on a pleasurable career path. Don't forget to show up at the class and say a big thank you. --Bob

Dangit! Thats a great idea! I think I may do just that. I'll post a WTB too, but to get the students at my old highschool to make me a scuttle or even a rough version of a scuttle that would be neat!
Question though: What are the design propeties of a nicer scuttle?
-Mike

Dangit! Thats a great idea! I think I may do just that. I'll post a WTB too, but to get the students at my old high school to make me a scuttle or even a rough version of a scuttle that would be neat!
Question though: What are the design properties of a nicer scuttle?
-Mike

Mike,
Free labor is hard to pass up!

PS My sister-in-law is make me two apothecary mugs for my upcoming birthday! I can sit my mug in hot water in the sink, No special scuttle needed

Soaps should work well in your current "shoe scuttle" It is important to pour the hot water over the soap to fill the basin. That softens the soap. Since I usually dunk the brush in the reservoir and then shower, you may need to wait a few minutes. Then use the boar brush. It takes a little longer but foam will appear but boar brushes and black badger brushes make great foam from hard soap. You may need to add a little water from the reservoir at times to get the lather thicker and fuller.

John
(if you are wondering, Mike has my old Scuttle).

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I have an old scuttle that I use to hold the soap bar in the bathroom... Other than that, mmm, it's useful if I face lather.

I got mine from Georgetown Pottery, and I really like using it. All you do is fill the outer part with hot water, and make your lather in the bowl. It keeps the lather warm for as many passes as you'd care to do. :001_tongu

Top Bottom