What's new

I love these guys!! ... or "Hooray for Veterans!!"

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Don't mess with Canadian vets!! This from recent Canadian news ...

Don't mess with a vet.

Two Royal Canadian Legion members, one of them an 84-year-old veteran of the Second World War, battled a gun-toting thug yesterday and stopped him from taking about $10,000 in poppy collections at a branch in Scarborough yesterday. "There was no way I was going to let him get away with the money," John Dietsch said between sips of his beer shortly after taking on the would-be crook. "Our veterans and their widows need that money."

The grandfather of four, and great-grandfather of five, was out rounding up poppy donation boxes from various locations near Pharmacy and Danforth Aves. the day after Remembrance Day and he was already upset because two collection boxes had been stolen from the liquor and beer stores in the area.

FOLLOWED

Dietsch believes the robber may have followed him as he brought the poppy boxes back to Branch 73 on Robinson Ave. Soon after, he and fellow legion member Earl Gray, 64, were in the boardroom along with two members counting thousands of dollars from poppy sales when the bandit appeared in the doorway around noon demanding they hand over the cash.

"I didn't have time to be scared," Dietsch said. "I just reacted."

Although it has been more than 60 years since he fought for his country, he said his military training kicked in. He lunged at the thug and tried to snatch the gun from his hand.

KNOCKED OVER

Dietsch, who joined the navy as a teen and served in the North Atlantic from 1943 to '46, was knocked backward. That's when Gray jumped in and tackled the gunman. Unfortunately, the would-be thief got away. But he fled empty-handed.

"I guess times are tough all over the place, but I can't understand why someone would do something like this," Gray said.

"I'm just glad John is OK," he said, downplaying his own role. "He's a brave man, especially for his age."

The branch's poppy chairman, Pat Shone, 65, who also watched the terrifying incident unfold, commended both men for their heroics. "I'm very proud of them," she said. The gunman took off on foot and was still being sought by police late yesterday. He's described as black, about 5 feet 10 inches tall, with a medium build, and he was wearing a toque. Anyone with information should call 41 Division investigators at 416-808-4100, or Crime Stoppers at 416-222-TIPS.

SUNMEDIA

Top Bottom