What's new

Yves Saint Laurent - Rive Gauche pour Homme

It can be too much on hot days but I like it otherwise. Long lasting on me. It does smell just like old school shaving cream - ie barbasol.

I tried a sample at the mall today, and to me it smells exactly like Barbasol Shaving Cream (Original). Clean, fresh, and NOT trendy. It got a big thumbs up from SWMBO as well. It will be my next purchase.

Must check this out!!

It's even reasonably priced.

Thanks for all the input everyone. I've also been considering either YSL Jazz or (more likely) Live Jazz. YSL is in my price range for this economy.

-Andy

Last edited:
It's even reasonably priced.

Thanks for all the input everyone. I've also been considering either YSL Jazz or (more likely) Live Jazz. YSL is in my price range for this economy.

-Andy

I like YSL scents. They're always well made and whether you like the scent or not, are never offensive. I have both Jazz and Live Jazz. I slightly prefer Live Jazz. It's lighter and spicier and really seems to come alive in the warmer months with increased longevity for a chypre and less of the vanilla note. The Jazz is a fougere but on me the leather note is a little more prominent on me than on most.

The real gem is the discontinued Jazz Prestige (I only have a couple of sprays left :crying:). It's just a little boozy with a tobacco note and the sandalwood is more noticeable.

- Peter

I like YSL scents. They're always well made and whether you like the scent or not, are never offensive. I have both Jazz and Live Jazz. I slightly prefer Live Jazz. It's lighter and spicier and really seems to come alive in the warmer months with increased longevity for a chypre and less of the vanilla note. The Jazz is a fougere but on me the leather note is a little more prominent on me than on most.

The real gem is the discontinued Jazz Prestige (I only have a couple of sprays left :crying:). It's just a little boozy with a tobacco note and the sandalwood is more noticeable.

- Peter

I'm not sure how I feel about "barbershop" fragrances, so I may hold off on Rive Gauche. I'm definitely going to get either Jazz or Live Jazz. I'm quite torn between the two, but I'm going off reviews and descriptions I've read. There's nowhere nearby where I can try either.

The only fougere I've been exposed to was a Pens English Fern sample. It was nice but no longevity. I have samples of Trumper's Astor and Eucris, and they're the only chypres I've tried. I prefer Astor because it's a little lighter. I like Eucris, but it's a bit of a downer for me. Quite a dark, foreboding fragrance somehow. They definitely got the packaging right with that one.

-Andy

I haven't tried any of the Trumper scents so I'm no help with a comparison there. I tried English Fern but I'm not a big fan of patchouli. On me the longevity was ok and the overall scent was clean.

Longevity is good with all YSL fragrances. Jazz would definitely be closer to English Fern than Live Jazz. Not as earthy as English Fern. Spicier with the lavender not as pronounced. Woodsy, but less than English fern and with a note of leather. More sillage but not overpowering.

- Peter

Top Bottom