What's new

First Four Pass Shave

Well ... the other day I did my first attempt at a four pass shave, it went ok. I cut myself up pretty good. Not too bad though ... but I did learn what Im going to try in future shaves to build my own routine ... Im going to adapt the N-S pass, and the halves of the "V" on the other two passes on my cheek all the while maintaining a N-S On my neck ... That seems to be the best for my neck.

It takes a little time to find what works as far as number and direction of passes. I'm nearly a year into wet shaving and still working out some kinks. Let us know how your adjustment works for you.

Don't think that a lot of passes are necessary for a good shave. When I started DE shaving I was doing a 4 or 5 pass shave, and had quite the problem with razor burn.

I tried going down to 3 passes, WTG, XTG, & ATG. The shaves got better, but there was still some razor burn. I tried everything, less to no pressure, different blade angle, holding the razor different, etc., etc. Still some razor burn. I asked questions here, got advice, and proceeded along. No matter what I did I still had the burn. I was still using the 3 pass shave however, I thought that was the way to go, more passes, beard reduction. I'd even add a 4th pass.

Finally one day I dropped that 3rd pass, and just did a 2 pass shave, WTG, and ATG. Lo and behold the shave was great. Smooth and no razor burn. It was the added passes that were causing me the problems with the burn.

I guess it just goes to show you that everyone is indeed different. I think you've just got to experiment with things and find what works the best for yourself. Just because something works great for others doesn't mean its going to be the same for you.

The best thing you can do is to take things one step at a time. Go slow and find what works best for you. Good luck, and let us know how things work out. :tongue: :biggrin:

Regards,

Paul :thumbup1: :a26:

Finally one day I dropped that 3rd pass, and just did a 2 pass shave, WTG, and ATG. Lo and behold the shave was great. Smooth and no razor burn. It was the added passes that were causing me the problems with the burn.

I can add a resounding +1 to this. More than two passes is overkill for me. The result of "the four-pass shave", when I tried it early in my DE shaving career, was brutal. I standardized on a two-pass WTG/ATG shave with great results. A daily smooth shave without irritation.

I can add a resounding +1 to this. More than two passes is overkill for me. The result of "the four-pass shave", when I tried it early in my DE shaving career, was brutal. I standardized on a two-pass WTG/ATG shave with great results. A daily smooth shave without irritation.

Agree. I would say treat three passes as a maximum. If you don't get BBS after three, call it quits and try again tomorrow.

Top Bottom