Thread: Dovo Shavette?

Default Dovo Shavette?

I read an interesting entry in this blog on the Dovo Shavette and it got me curious: http://www.shaveblog.com/?p=6

Anyone try one of these? For $20, doesn't seem like you can go wrong.

Thoughts anyone?
    Paul
    What I'm consistently shaving with - Merkur 38C
    Brush I'm using - Simpson Wee Scot
    Blades - Merkur

-- "Enjoy Every Shave" --

I tried the Fromm Hair Shaper (pictures at classicshaving.com) which I think is somewhat similar. The balance was wrong with too little weight to be effective. I only tried it once and I have currently loaned it to a friend. Try searching past posts at B&B and also SMF for more info. I am sticking with my DE razor for now.

JimT

Along the same lines, can you use Feather Disposable Straight Razor Blades in a Dovo Shavette with any of the longer holders?

I don't believe so.

Images

You can use feather DE blades in the short holder. But don't bother, the shavette has too many problems - too light (you can't use the weight of the shavette to do the cutting like you can with a DE or straight), ergonomics are badly off (shank too short, tail too high), and the geometry between the blade edge and the holder are off (can't judge blade angle very easily).

I am new to the str8 razor shave. I just bought a Sanguine razor from the UK, it has a replaceable blade like the aforementioned shavette. I can't really give a comparison to other razors, but I am getting the hang of it.

Is there any comparison to straight razors, or no?

Shavettes are really very different. They feel different and shave different. They are very unforgiving of improper technique. But once mastered can give you a very close shave. But, you still have to buy blades and the have no soul to them like a straight.

Images

Default Shavette

I've tried quite a few shavettes and I must agree that the dovo shavette is too light and short and awkward to balance. The sanguine mention in another post is a good shavette as its tree pinned and maintains a straight razor form... But in my quest for the best shavette I was forced to improvise and I believe I've created the best of all.....
    here- http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=13879

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mparker762 View Post
    You can use feather DE blades in the short holder. But don't bother, the shavette has too many problems - too light (you can't use the weight of the shavette to do the cutting like you can with a DE or straight), ergonomics are badly off (shank too short, tail too high), and the geometry between the blade edge and the holder are off (can't judge blade angle very easily).
    I use the Feather, and I find the weight and ergonomics to be just fine with that. Then again, you're paying more than $20. Maybe this is one time you get what you pay for??
    Be there or be square. Only I can do both!

"My lord, I will use them according to their desert."

"God's bodykins, man, much better: use every man
    after his desert, and who should 'scape whipping?"

Veteran of the Great Irisch Moos Campaign of 2008-09