What's new

Geocaching

Hadn't been on B&B for awhile and when I come on the first thing I see is a topic on Geocaching. I've been doing it for 2 1/2 years and coming up on my 1,000 find.

coming up on my 1,000 find.

Wow, very cool. I just really got started last September. I found about 60 my first month and since then it's dark by the time I get home. I'm really hoping to get going again as soon as the days get longer.

What a timely post, I got my new Garmin 60CSx today! Shweeet! :thumbup:

I got involved in Geocaching right when the geocaching.com web site was first launched. I haven't been very active with it in the past couple of years, but I'm definitely going to get out in the next few days putting my new GPSr through it's paces! :biggrin1:

My kids love this. I hand them the GPS and before they know it they have walked a couple of miles. No complaints of being tired or anything. It is awesome.

Any Geocachers here on the B&B? I seem to recall a thread about it but couldn't find it.

I used to be big into this but got out of it for a couple of years, now I am getting back into it.

Anyway if you Geocache list your user name here:

SlagleRock = CATMCommando

What a timely post, I got my new Garmin 60CSx today! Shweeet! :thumbup:

I got involved in Geocaching right when the geocaching.com web site was first launched. I haven't been very active with it in the past couple of years, but I'm definitely going to get out in the next few days putting my new GPSr through it's paces! :biggrin1:

I use the 60 CSx also, what a great GPS! I had a CS years ago, the CSx is a nice upgrade.

Is anyone else into geocaching? I've never seen anyone talk about it.

I posted the same question before finding this post.

I'm trying to get a centralized post that we can list our names in.

Guys, if you are into Geocaching please go here and list your user name.

Not so much into caching as benchmark hunting. It's a chance to help out the USGS, plus it amazes me that the benchmarks were placed with such accuracy with analog tools, and great math skills!

I've just started again after a 7 year hiatus - 0.5 of that being SWMBO not wanting to because she was pregnant, 6.5 of that being waiting for the results of the pregnancy coming around to the idea of "treasure hunting" :smile:

He uses my old Magellan 315, I have the Garmin eTrex Vista HCx and I've just acquired a Venture HC for GBP45 (it was advertised as an eTrex H, but the picture was of a Venture HC) and it turns out to be BNIB! :eek::biggrin: So he may be lucky and get an upgrade to a Venture HC :smile:

When I started there were 5 whole caches in the UK and my closest one was 120miles away - I did it of course :biggrin: - now there are 146 within cycling distance :eek:

Rabidpotatochip = (wait for it....) Rabidpotatochip :tongue:

I have an embarrassingly low number of finds for how long I've been a member. My GPSr broke down after a couple of weeks and it seems most of the Manitoba geocaches involve running through the bush. I snagged a few that were in obvious places and really want to get into it again but that's probably not happening till next month. Maybe I'll try finding a few while I'm on vacation.

Jeez, this topic's coming up a lot on this site now... Makes me want to get back into it.

I took about a two year hiatus because my GPSr bricked and never really picked up another one. I found a few with clever deduction but I realized I like doing it digitally more.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Hmmm, I dunno. Using a satellite based system to find stuff? Isn't that, ya know, cheating? :lol:

Hmmm, I dunno. Using a satellite based system to find stuff? Isn't that, ya know, cheating? :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

You'd think, but some of them very effectively render a satellite useless. One of the caches I found only gave coordinates to a starting point at which you found a clue. From there you had to do some math based on information at that location to figure out which direction you had to go to the cache's real location.

I've got a friend who travels a lot for work - usually in a different city for a few days every week. He loves geocaching.

I don't know much about it, but I guess he can go online and get the coordinates of spots around the city he'll be in. He said it's a great way to explore new cities (and beats sitting in a hotel room in the evening).

Top Bottom