What's new

lather-building fun!

Just wanted to share how much I enjoy building lather up, even if it's just for practice. Ever since I started wet-shaving six months ago, I've been wondering what makes a good lather. Each time I read another post or watch a video instruction on building lather, I go give it another try and see what happens.

Lately, I've been enjoying the idea of swiping the lather on my hand and checking for stickiness/foaminess/slickness. Anyway, I don't know if my lather-building has improved that much, but I've really loved the smell of my shaving soap and feeling like I'm practicing a real skill. SWMBO thinks I've lost my mind - she thought I was actually shaving both morning and night, but then when she realized I was only creating lather at night for the fun of it, she thought I had really lost it!

Still, there's no way I'd be having as much fun if I were using some canned foam. Building lather from a soap just feels and smells amazing, plus it's sort of soothing to me, even if I don't actually need a shave. Anyone else find that you just enjoy the sensation of creating mountains of meringue?

Yeah, I love to practice my lathering. I love the smell and the relaxation it brings. Just thinking of it makes me want to go lather. I had me a really good lather of TOBS rose this morning. Smelled so good and was so fluffy and smooth. It was not quite yogurt but was close. I am getting there but I have only been doing it for about 6 weeks now. I may have to go and practice.

Lathering is perhaps my favorite part of shaving. A nice warm face massage mixed with amazing scents is the perfect way to start or end any day.

Last edited:
Guilty here on the making lather at night every now and then.

UPDATE: After reading this thread I started to make some practice lather. Just could not resist so I ended up shaving last night.

Last edited:
Since we were talking about this today, I must admit that I took all my soaps and practiced lathering with all of them!!! It was a lot of fun. I had some good results too. And since I had all that lather around I decided to shave again too!

Sounds like the problem could be your lather. I suggest practice lathering.

(Sorry, just thought you'd actually enjoy getting one of our more frequent nuggets of shave clinic advice. :biggrin:)

Sounds like a great idea - I saw some posts about super lather but didn't understand how it could make a difference. I think I'm ready to experience the difference now, though.

Glad to hear so many find lathering so enjoyable. I'm also amazed at how, because wet-shaving is so gentle on my skin and facial hair, that I CAN shave both morning and night, if I want. I used to give my face a rest every other day because the cartridge razor and canned foam made me feel so awful after shaving.

Top Bottom