What's new

Pelikan Souverän M800

Well it had to happen...I love the M800 so much that I have to take it everywhere I go and find an excuse to use it no matter what. I dropped it...Yep, nib first on concrete floor. :eek: Man that is a sick feeling...I would have to say that it is worse then dropping a freshly honed str8 razor. The good side of the story is that Pelikans have replaceable screw in nibs, so the pen is not ruined. I can buy a new nib and simply screw it in... I guess it's another reason to love the Pelikan.:tongue_sm

Oh, that made me sick just reading it. Thank God you can replace the nib.

I'm totally in love with my Pelikans too. I bought a Ductus last year so I didn't have to do bottle filling at work. I use it all the time.

Last edited:
Maybe when you order a new nib, you should get another one that is totally different so you can exchange them for a completely different writing style - almost like two pens in one!

Maybe when you order a new nib, you should get another one that is totally different so you can exchange them for a completely different writing style - almost like two pens in one!
That's the beauty of the Pelikan's. :biggrin: I did that with my very first one and had 7 different nibs - different widths and levels of crispness of italic. Expensive, but not as much as 7 new pens.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Well it had to happen...I love the M800 so much that I have to take it everywhere I go and find an excuse to use it no matter what. I dropped it...Yep, nib first on concrete floor. :eek: Man that is a sick feeling...I would have to say that it is worse then dropping a freshly honed str8 razor. The good side of the story is that Pelikans have replaceable screw in nibs, so the pen is not ruined. I can buy a new nib and simply screw it in... I guess it's another reason to love the Pelikan.:tongue_sm

I had the opposite happen - my barrel got destroyed but I managed to salvage the custom nib.

Between you, you have a nice pen there.

I am still very new to the world of FP's. Is Richard Binder someone who sells custom Pelikan nibs or do you buy the nib and then send it off to him?

I am still very new to the world of FP's. Is Richard Binder someone who sells custom Pelikan nibs or do you buy the nib and then send it off to him?

He is what us fountain pen addicts call a 'nibmeister'. He sells the full range of factory Pelikan nibs (which he'll test before he sends to you) and also custom grinds various italics and so on. Pelikans are popular enough that he has a whole range in stock and likely you can get one you want.

If you want something else, he'll make it for you, I'm sure.

If you get to a pen show and he's there, he has a whole rack of samples and you can try them all :)

it's richardspens.com

I have a 'xxf full flex' nib from him that I use for writing music. I can do a pretty creditable J.S. Bach-style music notation as well as practice my Spencerian script.

If you just want a regular, factory nib, then what you're buying when you pay (a little bit) more to get it from him is that it is tested and adjusted before you get it. Pelikan (like all companies) sometimes lets a dud out the door, but they also have a reputation for excellent and responsive customer service so you'll end up with a good pen no matter what.

He is what us fountain pen addicts call a 'nibmeister'. He sells the full range of factory Pelikan nibs (which he'll test before he sends to you) and also custom grinds various italics and so on. Pelikans are popular enough that he has a whole range in stock and likely you can get one you want.

If you want something else, he'll make it for you, I'm sure.

If you get to a pen show and he's there, he has a whole rack of samples and you can try them all :)

it's richardspens.com

I have a 'xxf full flex' nib from him that I use for writing music. I can do a pretty creditable J.S. Bach-style music notation as well as practice my Spencerian script.

If you just want a regular, factory nib, then what you're buying when you pay (a little bit) more to get it from him is that it is tested and adjusted before you get it. Pelikan (like all companies) sometimes lets a dud out the door, but they also have a reputation for excellent and responsive customer service so you'll end up with a good pen no matter what.

Thank you for the info! :smile:

I cringed when I read your story. I love my M600 the M800 was a little to big for my hand, but I am just like you. My fountain pens are with me always and I just can't wait to find a reason to use one.

Top Bottom