What's new

Question about honing

I just got a Naniwa 12K and decided to polish my Double arrow just to practice. Something I noticed was that the edge of the stone all the way down the side where the heel or maybe the shoulder was was grey where it was rubbing metal off. I hope I am painting the right picture with words.

Is this normal? What am I doing wrong? How should this be avoided? Why is the edge of the hone rubbing the shoulder and heel?

many thx Kris

I just got a Naniwa 12K and decided to polish my Double arrow just to practice. Something I noticed was that the edge of the stone all the way down the side where the heel or maybe the shoulder was was grey where it was rubbing metal off. I hope I am painting the right picture with words.

Is this normal? What am I doing wrong? How should this be avoided? Why is the edge of the hone rubbing the shoulder and heel?

many thx Kris

There are actually 3 things that can be causing this..

1. Lap the stone

2. Chamfer/round the edges of the stone

3. 75% of all DA's have shoulder / heel problems that need fixing..

I seem to know something about that very stone....:wink:

I also have had experience with one or two DAs as well....

I would agree with Glenn, that the most likely cause of the uneven deposit is due to the fact that the shoulder of the DAs, up near the spine, are quite thick, and can make the razor sit on the hone at a weird angle.

many thx Kris

Another thing: Just by the very fact you are honing, the hone will be discolored by the metal removal process itself.

Lapping how and what stone you use for lapping?

how to lap? rub the hone on a coarser hone (or sandpaper on flat surface). anything over 200 grit works, but I use DMT8C. there's a tutorial with pictures over at straightrazorplace, and i'm sure on many other places too.

Top Bottom