What's new

Buy soaps based on cream?

A while back I ordered a bunch of samples from various places just to try out different brands and scents. Most places shipped me creams and I've found a few that I'm quite fond of like the Edwin Jagger Sea Buckthorn and the Trumpers brand creams (wow, was the coconut good), but now I'm just about out of my samples and need to know if I can reliably purchase soaps from most places based on the performance of their creams or if I'm comparing pomegranates and plantains. :biggrin: Are there places that sell great creams, but not so greats soaps or vice versa?
Thanks in advance guys

It's like comparing apples and oranges. Most creams are great. However, most soaps are not great. When I used to use creams, I would purchase creams mostly by their scents. However, If you purchased soaps based on their scents you will have many low quality soaps in your rotation. I'm partial to tallow based soaps. They provide a dense creamy lather with lots of cushion and slip. I read there are several high quality glycerin based soaps and vegetable oil based soaps however I've never experienced one. If you do a lot of searching on this forum you will notice that some of the best soaps have scents that are not popular. Tabac and MWF are two that instantly come to mind. People buy them because they are excellent performers. I think it's pretty hard to manufacture a bad cream and most of the creams from a reputable manufacturer are fine performers.

I was wondering the same thing; namely how Trumper's Violet translates into soap form?

My expectations are admittedly lofty, as I have achieved the hard-earned lather mastery of MWF soap: which yeilds a magnificent lather.

I recently picked up the Proraso soap in the green tub, as the cream is so nice, and it piqued my interest in the soap.

While different from the cream, its an excellent product.

My experience with trumpers is limited to the almond - the cream smells very marzipan and cherry sweet, but the soap is a different scent entirely - much more floral, and I would almost suggest that the two have no connection. I think the cream lathers better....

Barry

Update: so I got impatient :rolleyes: and went ahead and ordered the Edwin Jagger Sea Buckthorn from the English Shave Co. $7 bucks shipped and I wanted to grab some before the exchange rate went south. I decided to go this route because I really like a lot of things about the EJ products. They're natural/organic, smell very nice, and they get really nice reviews on the Review-board, plus they are not animal based like the tallow and some glycerine soaps (I'm a bit of a vegan sympathizer). Still I'd like to hear something about the quality of Trumper's coconut (or any other coconut soaps...) vs. the cream as there is no review on the boards. Thanks again guys.

Trumper's is one of the better veggie based soaps available. I'm sure you will be happy. Don't know much about the EJ soaps though. I've never smelled the coconut but it's on my list of scents to try.

Trumpers scents vary from soap to cream, but both perform extremely well. If you bought Cade soap after using Cade cream, you would get a real upgrade in quality and performance. It remains to be seen whether the reformulated Penhaligon's soaps perform half as well as the tallow-based versions to see how well they compare to their creams.

It's been my experience that soaps and creams behave and smell differently. The best you can do is hope they'll perform to your expectations.

I was wondering the same thing; namely how Trumper's Violet translates into soap form?

My expectations are admittedly lofty, as I have achieved the hard-earned lather mastery of MWF soap: which yeilds a magnificent lather.

I have Trumper Violet soap and love it. One of the top performers in my den. Easy to coax luxuriant lather, which is slick as well. I love the scent too, and it is very subtle.

Disclaimer: I never tried the cream

Top Bottom