What's new

If $200.00 (+ or -) was your budget?

:confused:Ok this is a call out to the pros of straights. I don't want to offend; I have been known to send curt emails that are easily misconstrued as rude, never my intent.

That said I would like to hear suggestions from owners of razors in this price range (+-$200). What do you suggest as a solid purchase, model and manufacturer, regardless of size and shape? I am new, but would not be saddened if I owned an outstanding razor that I could grow into or just have. The endless EBay listings have worn me down.

I know this is opinion based on your part, but as having owned and used the razor I want that educated experience of yours. I am grateful for all the “I hear so and so makes a great razor.” I want to know what shiny sharp piece of steel you pull across your face and say,”Damn, I am glad I bought this thing!”

Thanks as always to the great members of this site.
:001_smile:001_smile:001_smile:001_smile:001_smile:001_smile:001_smile

Im gonna go way against the grain. Go on Ebay and get a vintage razor and then send it to Max at SPR for a full restoration, rescale and honing. Or he has razors up for sale that hes already done. They are great razors for under 200. Just my two cents.

www.vintagestraightrazors.com

Im gonna go way against the grain. Go on Ebay and get a vintage razor and then send it to Max at SPR for a full restoration, rescale and honing. Or he has razors up for sale that hes already done. They are great razors for under 200. Just my two cents.

www.vintagestraightrazors.com

Max is a great choice as well, but I've never priced his work. By all accounts he puts a tremendous edge on his restorations as well. This would probably be a good choice.

What have I already purchased in that price range? Answer: Vintage razors. Been extremely happy with all of them.

Problem. I've never paid above $150 for any of them.

Custom razors. Absolutely, positively, worth the cash. Quite possibly the best razors I've ever laid hands on.

Problem. Way above the $200 price ceiling.

At the $200 range, I would not buy a Le Grelot. Why? Because they are ridiculously expensive with crummy scales, satin finish, and the 1/4 hollows are all gone. Basically, your paying $2xx for a blade IMHO. Might as well get a custom at that point.

What would I buy for $200. Good question. $100 is my price range for vintage and customs are much more expensive. For that price range, I would probably be looking at a Wacker or a Revisor. If you can find a NOS vintage, that should be around $200 too. Max restoring a vintage is also a good option.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
To start with, and this is how I did it without any regrets... Get a shave-ready straight off BST. For $30-$50 you can get a very nice blade and you will be able to sell it back if you don't like it. A strop will need to come in, that one is easy too.

What to look for? Sheffield or a Made in Germany blade. Sure values!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
A while ago classicshaving was selling vintage TIs with a nifty horn-covered tang for about $220. I got one and dang but it's a fine shaver. IF those were still around I'd say get one of those ... but like so much other stuff it's sold out I believe. :frown:

But the point remains that a nice vintage TI would make a great choice in that pricerange.

Top Bottom