What's new

Recommendations for non-tallow soap?

My sensitive skin is having a hard time with Tabac (I posted another thread). I may also be slightly reacting to MWF, I'm not sure yet.

I'd like to try a non-tallow soap that doesn't have artificial fragrance. I'm normally not hyper-sensitive, but I'm wondering if it's the tallow that is irritating me somehow.

Are all non-tallow soaps glycerin soaps? Any good recommendations? It need not be unscented, but I'd prefer something that uses natural EOs if at all possible.

Thanks!

VDH Delux might be a good place for you to start. It is not tallow. Not sure if it is glycerin or not though. I know it is a descent soap. You can ususally get it from wal-mart for under 2 bucks.

I have very sensitive skin and a light beard. I can use Proraso for ultra sensitive skin - with aloe and green tea - and have not had any trouble with it. I use the soap, not the cream.

I have very sensitive skin and a light beard. I can use Proraso for ultra sensitive skin - with aloe and green tea - and have not had any trouble with it. I use the soap, not the cream.

I need to get some of that for my husband.

Unfortunately I live in an area of Southern California that doesn't have Wal-Marts.

I've been browsing Mama Bear's site, but the number of choices is absolutely overwhelming. I see she has natural EO soaps, but I also see she has a Lime Ice one - but I have no idea what a mentholated soap would be like. I don't want to numb my face to the point of not realizing I'm nicking myself or bearing down.

I'm ashamed to admit how many scents she has I've never smelled. I'm looking at the Lime, Bergamont, Eucalyptus, and the Carribean soaps. I don't want anything that smells of peppermint - I have the Nancy Boy cream (which is a superb performer), but I'm not crazy about the smell. I wish I'd ordered their cucumber one. I just want something clean smelling.

Last edited:

I've got some of the green tube Proraso cream in the house. When it runs out, I may try that, but I'd like to try something new for now.

I hear that Mama Bear's are really good. I have not tried them yet. I would prob stay away from menthol if you have sensitive skin if I were you. It may not suit you well. She does have some EO and again, I hear they are great. She may have a sniffy thing that you can order to test the smells. I am not sure.

Mama Bear could hook you up with some great glycerin soaps, as can SCS. I second the notion of VDH as a good starting point with brick and mortar availability.

Another alternative is to take advantage of the deal that B&B has with Provence for their new Green Tea soap that is glycerin based. You can read about it at West Coast Shaving. You can get the special code for the discount from the moderator and it's only $7. I use the Pre de Provence after shave balm and it's wonderful.

Another alternative is to take advantage of the deal that B&B has with Provence for their new Green Tea soap that is glycerin based. You can read about it at West Coast Shaving. You can get the special code for the discount from the moderator and it's only $7. I use the Pre de Provence after shave balm and it's wonderful.

+1 That is a good idea!!!

Another choice might be Kell's Original...Ingredients...

Kell's Original.

I have the 'Energy' Shave stick and I think it works very well. I think I got mine at Shoe Box Shave Shop.

Last edited:

Thanks for the info! I have the regular PS soap and it's great--I do like the scent, but wouldn't want to wear it as an AS/EdC. I have the Green Tea AS/EdC and like it quite a bit.

If you want to try and stay tallow. I would recommend AOS unscented or Prairie Creations Unscented. AOS is known for sensitive skin and Krissy only uses natural ingredients. I can't recommend any glycerin soaps though since I don't use any. Good luck.

Tony

L'Occitane CADE is a wonderful non-tallow hard-milled french soap that shaves great. It's only $10 for the refill puck, although the dedicated aluminum bowl (nice, but not necessary) is on the expensive side. Unfortunately, the L'Occitane shave cream is not nearly as good as the shave soap (in fact, most agree, the shave cream not very good at all).

C&E also has some nice non-tallow, milled soaps, but they tend to be more heavily scented.

OP,

I also have very sensitive skin. I've had some really blotchy, red, itchy, burning results from LOTS of soaps.

Lime Ice worked WONDERFULLY for me.

I've had fantastic results with the Crabtree & Evelyn soaps too!!!!!

Top Bottom