What's new

Straight to try or lease?

Hi Gents,
I am ready to make the leap into straights and was hoping for some help. I wanted to see if I could try a "loner" shave ready straight from one of the masters out here. I don't want to go to the expense of purchasing only to sell if I fail at making the switch. I would like something that you feel will give me a decent shave and you can trust me with,lol. I will gladly pay shipping costs,both ways, and a rental fee if required. The length of use is solely up to you as the lender.

I don't know what, if any protocols are to be followed or if this is feasible.PM me, even if to tell me to take a flying leap,lol. Thanks for all the great posts and friendly members giving advice.

You are probably going to just have to buy one. Plus you need a strop. One of the fine gents here should be able to set you up for not much money.

It could take months before you really become proficient with it. It's not really something that you can just jump into and master like with a DE. It'd probably be the best idea to read what to look for when buying a straight online and wait until a decent one at a good price comes along. As said by someone else, you'll need a strop, as well. If you find out that it's not for you, you'll have no problem unloading the equipment in the BST forum.

If you get a vintage straight and strop of the marketplace here you can sell it without taking a huge loss if it doesn't work out for you.

Buying a starter set from Ruprazor is also a good option imho.

It might take a while before you become good at it, so renting might be frustrating and force you to rush it.

Sverre

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I was lucky to get a straight that I could try for a few weeks. It got me hooked within 2 weeks...

Don, I have a vintage hollow you can try for as long as you want. I'm still learning myself but so far prefer wedge blades. Perhaps the veterans will weigh in on the best grind for a newbie. Hollows definitely require a different technique.

Thanks for all the advice and offers. Bill hooked me up and I hope to report back as a newly converted straight user.

Top Bottom