What's new

Oil Stains?

I have a bunch of NOS Wapi razors that have stains on them. I'm thinking that they're oil stains that have set into the carbon steel. Is there any way to remove them? Thanks.

Someone sent me their razor and it had the same sort of stains yours do in the pics. Tried MAAS, and it worked to a degree, but its still there. I'd assume more MAAS time would do it. Tempted to buff it out, but then I'd have to rehone it.... :\

Try some TurtleWax Rubbing compound, followed by MAAS, or TurleWax Polishing compound. Make sure to get the Premium bottle, not the "regular" tub.

I think it's only surface related and so maybe you just need a bit of elbow grease with the metal cleaner.

If the cleaner doesn't shift it, try a bit of the chromium oxide liquid or add a bit of the powder to some oil or water and try again.

I find that after I've finished honing, sometimes, there are very tiny scratch marks that come off the bevel and into the mirror finish. Actually off both bevels. I think its the 1000 grit hones that do it as the swarf is cut away. Anyway, chromium oxide paste removes those tiny scratches and leaves a mirror finish and so I suspect it will clean up the marks on your blade.

I agree with you that it looks like dried out oil. More like a calcium deposit but not.

Good luck anyway.

I have actually had to sand them out and rebuff, but it was easy because it only took some 1550-2000 grit to get them out and then buffed with white rouge and it was back to a mirror.

Top Bottom