What's new

Posting a straight razor overseas

Hi,

I'm based in New Zealand, and am looking at posting my straight to Ambrose for a polish and hone. I'm just wondering if anyone knows what the customs restrictions are in the USA? I've had a look on the net, but can't really decipher it. The main thing I'm concerned about is the ivory scales, and whether that will stop me posting it. The razor is a Joseph Rodgers that used to belong to my great grandfather, so I'm keen to have it back safely without being seized at customs. What are your thoughts?

Thanks
Richard

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I wouldn't worry too much. Someone in the US will probably be able to post their experiences.

I bought a few straights from all over the place :)rolleyes:) and didn't have a problem. The only one that didn't make it yet is the straight that I bought from Russia. Still waiting on that one, it left Russia on the 16th September!

The type of ivory and the date of its sale makes a difference to US Fish and Wildlife. Your razor is obviously before the date restrictions but it's hard to know what kind of ivory it is. I avoid those issues altogether. I have everything shipped to me with "shaving razor" listed on the customs form. It's never an issue. Of course, I haven't done this with a family heirloom.

Top Bottom