What's new

Requesting Assistance - Triple Milled Shaving Soap

Here's my question. Right now I'm using shaving cream, but I have been seeing people talk about how wonderful triple milled shaving soap is. That it lathers nicely and leaves an nice protective barrier when you shave. I have sensitive skin and would like to try some. Any recommendations? Thanks

Is your sensitive skin issue fragrance related? what creams are you using now?

There are a ton of options- Tabac, DR Harris, AOS, Penhaligon's,T&H,C&S, Trumpers.

Your choice of fragrance and budget are the only limiting factors.

Triple-milled or tallow? Because there can be both or neither in the hard soaps. Hard soaps with tallow include Prairie Creations, Mitchell's Wool Fat (MWF), Tabac and many others.

my skin sensitivity is not based on fragrance. I have very oily skin and am prone to acne. Hopefully this is helpful. Thanks

Triple-milled or tallow? Because there can be both or neither in the hard soaps. Hard soaps with tallow include Prairie Creations, Mitchell's Wool Fat (MWF), Tabac and many others.

Prairie Creations is not a milled (hard) soap.

Tabac is good but you can also get a good shave from MWF which is not triple milled. My suggestion is to leave your options open and try what other members have found successful.

my skin sensitivity is not based on fragrance. I have very oily skin and am prone to acne. Hopefully this is helpful. Thanks

If you have a fragrance preference that would make it a bit easier to suggest something. Take a look here for a bunch of options.

There are two basic types of soap; hard and cream. Within both there are varying degrees of each. French milled is the upper-end of hard (Tabac) and the poured soaps - or the softs - constitute the lower end (MWF and PC). Likewise with creams, some are so thick as to be almost dough-like (Castle Forbes) and some are are like thick foam (GFT). Make sense?

I learn new stuff daily. I did not know what triple-milled soap is, so I Googled and found this Badger & Blade thread:
Yup. Most "hard" bath bars in the grocery store are actually the softer poured variants (examples: Ivory, Dove, Irish Spring, Dial, glycerin, etc.). French or triple milled bath bars are usually harder to find and are generally costlier, but not always (examples: Yardley, South of France, Mistral, etc.)

A softer bar will last my wife as much as a year; however, I go for the triple milled bath bar soaps exclusively, because the softer bars will only last a few days on my abrasive pelt. The milled soaps last my wife forever; seriously, the only way we get to the bottom of them is to cycle her leftovers into my daily use. A brand new milled bath bar will last me about 3 weeks.

Didn't say it was milled - I said it was hard, which it is. It may be a soft hard soap, but it's not a cream.

There are two basic types of soap; hard and cream. Within both there are varying degrees of each. French milled is the upper-end of hard (Tabac) and the poured soaps - or the softs - constitute the lower end (MWF and PC). Likewise with creams, some are so thick as to be almost dough-like (Castle Forbes) and some are are like thick foam (GFT). Make sense?

I do not believe this is correct. Just because it's not a cream doesn't mean it's a hard soap. There are creams and there are soaps. Within the category of soaps there are hard (milled) soaps and there are soft (poured) soaps. Not all hard soaps have tallow, and not all soft soaps lack tallow. MWF, Harris, AOS, Penhaligon's, etc., are examples of hard soaps. Prairie Creations, Conk, Mama Bear's, etc., are examples of soft soaps.

As to the OP's original question, there are many options. I think the AOS, although a little pricey, is one of the easiest to lather and best performing tallow-based, triple milled soaps available. I recommend it highly and it is unlikely to aggravate any skin condition, especially if you get the unscented version (which is my favorite).

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Top Bottom