What's new

My shaving oil feedback

I recently ordered a small bottle of shaving oil and decided to use it this morning.

I did my normal shave prep and applied the oil to my slightly damp face.

So far so good, does not feel greasy.

I then went along with the application of my lather, still good so far.

Now, the shave. I did not feel a significant difference in the quality of the shave. It might have felt a TINY bit smoother, but that may have been psychological.

The shave went well as usual, did not get a BAM WOW improvement with the oil.

NOW this is where the problem starts, after I drained my sink I noticed a ring of tiny bits of shaved whiskers around where the water line used to be.

This has NOT occurred before I used the oil and when I wiped my finger across that "ring" it feels like a light layer of grease.

To sum up, I would still stick to pre-shave lotion, but no oil for me.

This is just an opinion! any kind of feedback is welcome! :001_smile

After reading your post, I can see that the shave oil didn't work. Have you considered using EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)? I've been using it as a pre-shave for about 2 months now and I don't think I can ever go back to the way I used to shave.

After reading your post, I can see that the shave oil didn't work. Have you considered using EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)? I've been using it as a pre-shave for about 2 months now and I don't think I can ever go back to the way I used to shave.

I'll give that a try. How is it? The only fear I have is having to clean up oily deposits in my sink again :frown:

I use a mixture of 2/3 Castor oil and 1/3 EVOO. I think it has significantly improved my shaves. That said, I get the same results in my sink as you describe. I haven't found that to be a reason to stop using the oil pre-shave, though.....

Scrubbing bubbles in the aerosol can. One quick spray then get dressed and rinse and you should be good to go.

I personally enjoy pre-shave oils, some here do not. I use shave secret now, but I'm going to try a home brew once it runs out. It seems to be an aquired taste.

I have a bottle of AOS non-scented pre shave oil. I apply it to my wet face, massage it into beard, then apply shaving cream. I must be doing something wrong, but is seems to dry up my face and degrades my lather. Which in turn cause my razor to skip and pull. Any suggestions. Thanks

I personally don't like the pre-shave oils. Hot shower prep seems to work fine and a good cream/soap provides all the slickness I need. Also the thought of getting oil on my brushes makes me shudder!

I use L'Occitane Cade shave oil just to shave around my goatee and get it in perfect shape, something I cannot do with lather, and I have the same problem. I need to use tissue paper and some scrubbbing with pressure to clean it up.

I dabbled in shave oils (like many do) when I first got started. I ultimately decided that the cost/benefits just weren't worth it. There are some however, that swear by shave oils.

Top Bottom