What's new

Been Thinking

I have a couple of straight blades without scales and am considering turning one of them into a Japanese type razor. You know, no scales but with a handle instead. I'd fit the handle over the tang somehow. I know traditional Japanese razors have the single bevel, but I'd try to use the more western dual bevel. Anybody ever try or hear of such a thing? I know there must be a reason for the single bevel and I sure don't want to complete this little project only to end up slicing myself up. Please tell me if you think this is doable/reasonable.

Yup. The most crude version I've seen is someone shoving a straight into an awl handle. Yes, they did it. It was horrible to behold.

However, I must ask why? Scales protect the blade, they balance the razor, they are very useful.

But that said, no reason why you can't do the same thing with a western straight. You could even just wrap the tang, although it might be too short, might have to lengthen it through some means.

Yup. The most crude version I've seen is someone shoving a straight into an awl handle. Yes, they did it. It was horrible to behold.

However, I must ask why? Scales protect the blade, they balance the razor, they are very useful.

But that said, no reason why you can't do the same thing with a western straight. You could even just wrap the tang, although it might be too short, might have to lengthen it through some means.

Why?
1 I've seen Japanese straights and they intrigue me. I don't know if I can afford one right now, so I thought I'd mess around with a blade I already own.
2 The other thing is that just by looking at them, they seem to be more manuverable. Scales get in my way on certain areas of my face. Most likely techninque.
3 Testosterone poisoning.

Some truth to all those reasons, but I honestly intended to rescale the blades when I had access to a lot of machine shop tooling. Now I've got the blades and the wood, but no tools to cut 1/8" strips accurately. Any ideas on how I could do that without band/scroll saws?

If you used a western straight, you should end up with the "manouverability" of a japanese blade, but be able to use both sides of the razor.

Having said that, the thing that actually appeals to me about japanese straights, is that the traditional method of only using one side of the blade requires me to learn a new skill / different shaving method, which provides a fairly significant amount of satisfaction along the way as you get better at it.

Anyway, if you end up with a useable blade, would be really interested to see and hear about the end result.

Just putting it out there, but wouldn't it shave pretty much the same as permanently "locking" the scales in a horizontal position? I mean, it'd look different, sure, but functionally...

Just putting it out there, but wouldn't it shave pretty much the same as permanently "locking" the scales in a horizontal position? I mean, it'd look different, sure, but functionally...

Ya know, I try the horizontal scale positioning, but for some reason, I can't seem to get a comfortable (mentally) grip on the razor when I do. Blade opens and closes just a bit during the passes, I get a little flinchy and back off. Need to get over my little phobia I suppose. Still, the allure of a straight with no guards appeals to me. Go figure.

Aside from the obvious honing problems. What about just shaving with them as is? I've done it. Its not that hard. And if you like it like that, you can wrap it in cord. Just throwing these ideas out there.

For honing, you can just get two popsicle sticks and a rubber band to fashion some make shift scales to aid in honing.

Top Bottom