What's new

Is it worth wearing a watch?

A fine watch is much more than an appliance for the telling of time, especially a mechanical watch. It is a work of art, a personal statement. Sure, it can be an extravagance, but, for many, the pride of ownership of a such a mechanical masterpiece is worth the price of admission.

Couldn't have said it better myself!! Go mechanical, watches should not have batteries.

I've worn a watch since I was a kid. It's inconvenient not knowing what time it is, and ungainly to have to pull out the cell phone to check it. Plus it's one of the few ways a man can accessorize.

B

bluefoxicy

Plus it's one of the few ways a man can accessorize.

No kidding. A girl can have a billion types of shirts, tons of cuts, tight or loose.. skirts, 500 pairs of shoes to match with various outfits, hair styles in every which way to give some sort of impression, etc.

Guys can have shorts. Or pants. Or formal wear (jeans actually are formal, they're informal in informal context). Or a kilt. And a button shirt or a pull-over, collar or no, pocket or no. If your shirt's skin tight, you're gay. Maybe you can get away with a kilt but we'll all laugh at you.

Never mind that most of what guys can wear tags you as an old man. Brown golf shoes, high socks, khaki shorts, a golf shirt... yeah, old retired man. Do you drive a buick? Wear something that reflects the virility of your age.

Jewelry... makes you a thug. Gold chains?

It's funny, guys are either in t-shirts and jeans/shorts (teenagers, pot heads); business casual (adults); or business formal (businessmen). Life would probably be more fun as a chick but I think I'll pass.

As far as timekeeping goes we live in a transitory period the same as when wrist watches replaced pocketwatches and people thought quartz watches would totally replace mechanicals.

Most youngsters meaning those in High and mid school have no use for watches using their cell phones which to me is a joke since it's is just a 21 century pocketwatch.

The bottom line is if you see no purpose in wearing a watch then you simply have no use for them and spending money for one is a waste. If you think otherwise then you wear a watch and feel naked without one.

Down the road I think watches will be basically jewelry for successful men (in many cases thats how it is now) and the only ones wearing wristwatches to actually tell the time will be guys who in this day and age wear a vintage pocketwatch like me.

Any suggestions on how I can get a hold of an inexpensive wristwatch (I'd be willing to spend around $50, I think), that would actually fit??

You do like me. Find a watch you like then go along to a jeweller or watchmaker and buy a longer strap!:biggrin:

Simple and it works.

Gareth

I am too old to replace my watch(es) with a cell phone. I have a cell phone, and it is also a clock, but I would feel almost naked without a watch. I rarely ever use the cell phone to tell what time it is.

Tim

I can not quite put my finger on it but I enjoy wearing a watch. I sleep with mine so I can know the time in the middle of the night. I only take it off to shower pretty much. :) Does the Seiko 5 have illumination like the Timex Indiglow? You know what...nope it would not...it is an automatic watch. Hey I answered my own question. :)

I wear a watch most days. And OP, you make it sound as though getting a watch battery changed is some nightmarish ordeal...it isn't. They'll do it at the mall for you for a couple of bucks while you stand there and wait. As others have mentioned, a watch can be both functional and stylish. It seems that most of the men where I work have nice watches too so I'd feel like a bit of a dork not having one and just pulling out my cell phone every time I want to check the time. :tongue: During the summer though I'd say I wear a watch about 60% of the time...I just don't care what time it is when I'm on vacation. :biggrin:

I hate my cell phone, but love my watch.

I have an omega seamaster, I don't even know the brand of my cell phone.

A watch is a piece of art, a cell phone a piece of... utility/functionality?

My watch is used to accent what I am wearing as well as tell time.

My watch tells my date (my wife) that I will be on time to the movies or to a show and nice dinner.

My cell phone tells my date that we may be interrupted by someone "more important" than her.

I use my watch to make sure my direct reports are on time. My cell phone is used by my boss to make sure I'm on time.

I have a much more positive relationship with my watch than with my cell phone.

But, it all depends on the lifestyle you lead. Do you use your cellphone so much that you must have it all the time? My watch is smaller and lighter than my cell phone. It's more pleasant to look at, hold, and use. Plus, I hate the fact that people can contact you anywhere with a cell phone. It's just not my bag.

I have lots of technical friends that have simple watches, and a cell phone that has more computing power than the space shuttle. So it depends on what you are into.

B

bluefoxicy

Interesting perspective. I always considered a watch a utility tool. Mostly because I checked the time every like 5 minutes in middle/high school, and had no other way to find out what time it was; it was driving me crazy when I didn't have one for a while.

I have lots of technical friends that have simple watches, and a cell phone that has more computing power than the space shuttle.

My BRAIN has more computing power than the space shuttle. Next question.

I hate my cell phone, but love my watch.

I have an omega seamaster, I don't even know the brand of my cell phone.

My watch is used to accent what I am wearing as well as tell time.

My watch tells my date (my wife) that I will be on time to the movies or to a show and nice dinner.

My cell phone tells my date that we may be interrupted by someone "more important" than her.

I use my watch to make sure my direct reports are on time. My cell phone is used by my boss to make sure I'm on time.

I have a much more positive relationship with my watch than with my cell phone.

But, it all depends on the lifestyle you lead. Do you use your cellphone so much that you must have it all the time? My watch is smaller and lighter than my cell phone. It's more pleasant to look at, hold, and use. Plus, I hate the fact that people can contact you anywhere with a cell phone. It's just not my bag.

I have lots of technical friends that have simple watches, and a cell phone that has more computing power than the space shuttle. So it depends on what you are into.

So very true! :lol: +1,000,000

Men look like they are missing something when they do not have a watch. it drives me nuts neither of my brothers wear one nor does my husband. I love having a watch on, unfortunately my no battery Seiko kinetic is dying on me.

I find myself in the same boat with everyone else. The only time I really use my watch is when I'm in church and I have to have the time. It much more stealthy to use the wrist watch rather than the cell.

Men look like they are missing something when they do not have a watch. it drives me nuts neither of my brothers wear one nor does my husband. I love having a watch on, unfortunately my no battery Seiko kinetic is dying on me.

You know you can have Seiko Kinetics serviced right? I had mine (bought in NYC in 1999) done last year, they upgraded the storage capacitor to a newer version and now it holds a charge for months and months even if I'm not wearing it. :smile:

I used http://www.kinetic-repairs.co.uk/ but I'd imagine there are places in the USA who can do it too.

B

bluefoxicy

My dad just had a new capicitor put in his Seiko kenetic cost about $75

Wow.

Just looked at their offerings. High tech stuff, pretty interesting on a technical level. More gauges than my car has in some of this stuff though, not to mention they don't carry any I can actually read.

Too bad. Those things look much better than this crap:

proxy.php

Out of place wort on my arm. Then again I guess I'd look like a ricer wearing this:

proxy.php

Heh. And then everyone would start asking me what time it was (this happens when you're wearing a watch), and I'd tell them I don't have my cell phone on me.

This is probably why I don't wear a watch anymore.

Tag Aquaracer Perpetual. It matches my wedding ring. It was a gift from my wife. I never leave the house without either of them. The ring (which she picked out) is large enough to identify from near earth orbit.

I think the wife was trying to send a message.

I have a cell phone (pocket watch).

Watches for me have always been "battery dies in 5 years, then you get a new watch." I had a Casio calculator watch that lasted like 12 years on the same battery (!), the band broke before the power ran out.

Over time this has become "battery died." Seriously, I have a cell phone. The battery's rechargeable. It's not like a watch is going to plug in and recharge; the battery dies eventually and you have to go inside.

I actually went through watch withdrawal for like 3 or 4 years... just never bothered to buy another watch, eventually stopped wanting one hanging on my wrist.

All I wear are vintage manual/auto-wind watches...No dead batteries for me...

Top Bottom