What's new

Is it worth wearing a watch?

I'm a little surprised that in five years, no one has pointed out that changing a watch battery isn't rocket surgery. If you don't already have to tools to open a watch case, you can get a set of tiny screwdrivers or a case tool for a few dollars (Harbor Freight sells a case tool for $5.99).

If you can set a watch, you can change a watch battery.

Culture of buy cheap > dispose > rebuy.

I like to think that things like the resurgence of wet shaving, the popularity of resoleable american boots and shoes, and the resurgence of automatic watches indicates that there's a good segment of people who don't want to live like this any longer

garyg

B&B membership has its percs

I like to think that things like the resurgence of wet shaving, the popularity of resoleable american boots and shoes, and the resurgence of automatic watches indicates that there's a good segment of people who don't want to live like this any longer

We can always hope!

$img-sundial.png

Interesting thought....

I don't really see myself as a minimalist, but my goal (as of late) is to be practical in what I purchase. Maintaining quality items is not as much an issue as the "buy and toss" method. This all started when I began wet shaving, I guarantee it. I think you hit the nail on the head here. Good post.

Count me in as one of them.

I'm a high school teacher and need to keep track of time constantly - fishing in my pocket for my phone every 2 minutes looks like I'm unprofessional/a drug dealer so a watch is essential. I wore a Casio F-91 for a while....memories!

Same for me. I am in IT so the drug dealer thing wouldnt really be a big deal but it destroys your battery life to be firing up that screen all the time. screen time is one of the biggest killers of batteries on today's smart phones.

A watch is a fashion choice for many people.

It also depends on your job. There are many positions that if you are a younger person and check your phone for the time, people will just assume that you are playing on your phone at work. Wearing a watch eliminates that and gives a more professional appearance.

That is the same as with nice razor. You can have a decent shave with disposables, still you love your razor. And, besides the fact you love it, it can deliver a nice shave! The same with watch - it looks and feels just right, you love to look at it, and.... it shows the time!!!

Some people do get a good shave from a disposable razor.

Yes, but my point is that I do not. Therefore, for me, the razor is not a piece of jewelry but a piece of equipment that actually delivers a better experience. In the case of a luxury Swiss watch, that is not the case. You get the same function from a cheap watch. Beyond that it is just jewelry.

That said, do I need an AS-D2? The answer is most certainly not. I could probably find a cheaper mild razor that can deliver a similar result, so in that sense, it is a piece of jewelry.

But the original analogy to disposable razors is flawed because there is a significant functional difference between the shave of a disposable vs the shave of a DE razor.

But the original analogy to disposable razors is flawed because there is a significant functional difference between the shave of a disposable vs the shave of a DE razor.
Well, the functionality of a cell phone alarm clock is very different from what my Omega Seamaster does as well.
The Omega is only a timepiece, that functions without needing a battery, while the cell phone has numerous functions, but is dead without electrical power.

Maybe an electric razor versus a DE razor would be a better analogy?

Top Bottom