What's new

Is it worth wearing a watch?

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Hmmm, is it worth wearing a watch?
proxy.php

I don't own a wrist watch, but a 1936 Longines 14K pocket watch (engraved with my full name, birthdate and the quote..."A Wrist Watch merely tells Time...
a Pocket Watch
tells a Story."
).

Besides keeping time, my watch has great sentimental value (many, many years ago when I joined the Sevice, my Father had passed this watch, chain, fob, charms and pocket knife on to me [which I will pass on to my oldest son]), to include satisfiying my interest and link with the past (the 'good old day's, antiques, vintage. ect...), and tradition.

proxy.php
"One must learn to govern time...not be governed by it". CBJ

Attached Image - My watch attached to a long 14K chain w/ a 14K small engraved (CBJ), pocket knife (to cut my cigars). The chain has four (4) Catholic Charms (plus a horse shoe for good luck), attached and has a 'Mustard Seed' as the watch fob.

Very nice, Christopher.

Shaving and winding my watch every morning is something I look forward to. A fine watch for men is equivalent to a fine ring for women.

I prefer to take a quick and discreet peak at my wrist watch in front of whomever I'm in company with, than haul my cell phone out in front of them. At least then they have no doubt I am only checking the time. Cell phones are a great multi-tool, but they can be socially off-putting to some. So I try to make an effort of being conscious of it.

I've worn a watch since my parents gave me one when I was eight years old. In Nam I wore a Glycine Airman Special. A great watch that was broken while scuba diving and could not be repaired. Vietnam era GAS,'s cost a bundle now. Today I wear a Luminox Navy Seal Chrono. I hardly ever look at my smartphone as I just leave it on my desk at work. I have a small watch collection and change from time to time.

I sleep with a watch on. Only time I'm watchless is in the shower

Been that way since second grade or so...started with casios, swatches, seikos....so on

Wallet, watch, pen...all day, erryday...every work day anyway

Last edited:

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I sleep with a watch on. Only time I'm watchless is in the shower

Been that way since second grade or so...started with casios, swatches, seikos....so on

Wallet, watch, pen...all day, erryday...every work day anyway

I wear my daily driver in the shower, its rated to 300 M after all.

I work with around 30 people who for the most part always have a watch on. It fun to watch how one acts during the day when they forget it. I find myself grabing my wrist where the watch should be through out the day. Others keep looking at an empty wist like they are checking the time ect ect

I've recently gone back to wearing a watch after a few years of just checking the time on my phone, it's a lot more convenient to just glance quickly at my wrist and there are times when I don't have my phone with me.

So, for the chaps that reckon a watch tells you a lot about a person, what do different kinds of watches say?

So, for the chaps that reckon a watch tells you a lot about a person, what do different kinds of watches say?

Friday Night: A gent threw a house warming party, hosting 40 guests, in his new home. It was to be a wine & cheese affair. He decided to wear his Submariner for the event. "He's so classy!" his guests thought.

Saturday Morning: Same gent is spotted by an old acquaintance, while he removes a boat load of wine bottles from his trunk down at the recycling depot. For his errands, he dressed in a T-shirt, jeans and his old faithful beater of a Timex. "What a boozer!" they thought.

A watch doesn't tell SQUAT about a person's integrity, personality or character. A person's integrity, personality and character do that. The only thing a watch tells is time. Some just tell it more precisely and pair nicely with certain attire choices.

Last edited:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I've recently gone back to wearing a watch after a few years of just checking the time on my phone, it's a lot more convenient to just glance quickly at my wrist and there are times when I don't have my phone with me.

Hah! ... Checking time on your phone is more "retro" than most people realise. Back in the day, a gentleman would keep the time with an expensive, newfangled gizmo he kept in his pocket, and would take out and open up to see what the time was. No, not an iPhone ... an iPocketwatch. Er ... a pocket watch. Then (so the story goes) along comes The Great War, pilots need to check time quickly without taking their eyes off the Red Baron, and some bright spark ties his pocket watch to his wrist and "whoop-there-it-is" ... the wrist watch.

It says as much (or more) about the person doing the judging as about the person being judged. That said, we all do that sort of judging, be it about watches or shoes or cars or whatever. We seek out non-verbal clues about those around us to get a better sense of "who they are" ... normal, everyday practice.

But to the person judging ... what impresses you about a man's watch? Is it that he wears a really expensive watch? "Ooh ... Rolex ... that's boss!"? Is it that he manages to find a reliable, dress-appropriate watch that is reasonably priced? Maybe you like that he wears a different "diver" every day and a dress watch on Sunday? Maybe you like that he only has one watch that manages to somehow look "right" in every possible situation? Maybe you see that he, like you, wears a G-Shock (or Timex, or Submariner, or ... whatever) and you are both part of the same oddball club of niche watch-wearers?

Very Interesting Thread. Judging can be a slippery slope, although we ALL do it for various reasons. Those that know my collection of watches come in two camps, some think I am a watch whore because my collection includes Rolex, Omega, Tag, Breitling, as well as Timex, Casio G shock, Android and the every and consistently hated Invicta. All that says about me or anyone else for that matter and that we appreciate watches that WE like, both in quality, but more importantly styles and brands we are drawn to.
I had a client come into the office, years back, that was dressed in ratty jeans, a cowboy hat that had seen much better days, a torn button down shirt, and the fragrance of a dead person, and what looked liked a 5.00 Walmart watch. Yes, I had my initial impression, but he turned out to be one of my longest tenured clients and a good friend. He was a rancher with about 750,000 acres in BLM contracts, 2000 head of cattle, and probably had more money that I will ever see.

So to me I have to agree that the judging of what watch someone wears indeed shows more about the judge rather than the judgee.

Buy what you want, what turns you on and it does not matter the price of what other people think.

Just my 2 cents GREAT THREAD THOUGH!

Top Bottom