What's new

Anyone tried Alabu goat's milk soap?

Conventional wisdom hereabouts says that a soap with olive oil as its first ingredient will usually not lather well.

I have no experience with this though. Let us know how it works if you decide to try it.

-Chris

I have not used this particular brand, but I do have a couple pucks of a locally made goat milk shave soap. The ingredients are similar to the one in the link you posted except the frangrances, and I can indeed attest to the fact that my soap does not produce a thick, cushiony lather. Basically, I have to lather my face, shave one side, relather the other side and then shave that. Repeat for all 3 passes. My soap also includes kaolin clay, which definitely helps in the slickness dept. It gives a good enough shave, but the lather's lack of staying power can be annoying.

Incidentally, I use this same maker's goat milk bath soap and find it so good (it is the same ingredient list as her shave soap minus the clay) that I utterly refuse to use any other bath soap. Period. My wife feels the same way.

My local producer is at www.vagoatsoap.com.

Thanks for the feedback. I will try it and let you know.

It looks like I will need to try another soap for comparison sake. Any suggestions, preferably not the absolute best soap, just a good solid performer. (Tabac???)

Tabac certainly gets great reviews around here, although the scent seems to be devisive.

VDH is a widely available (Wal Mart and a few drug stores) and affordable soap that also has its followers.

On the higher end D.R. Harris, TOBS, Art of Shaving and Mitchell's Wool Fat are all popular.

Should've also noted above that the goat milk based shave soap (and the bath soap for that matter) does leave my skin feeling more moisurized and nourished than any of the soaps and creams I have - so it does have at least one great benefit.

Last edited:
I picked up a puck of this soap at Thompson Chemists in NYC for about $6. I tried it out today using a fresh Dorco, a vintage (Chessman) Merkur slant, and a small Vulfix boar brush. I face lathered but found that the best lather I could get was a bit thin and flimsy. I tried re-loading the brush a little better after the first pass but it did not help much. I have to say, however, that the lather I did manage to get was slick and that I got a pretty close shave. Also, even two hours later, my face feels moisterized. So I would not say it is a bad soap, just that it did not produce a thick cushioning lather the way most soaps that I use do.

Top Bottom