What's new

Yankees are world champions

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
I would just like to say that I predicted they would win in 6 :) Even though I had to work last night..and saw all of but 6 minutes of it, I am as happy as a little girl :)

Beating the current World Champs is never a given. Turning an all-star team into a real team that can battle week in and week out is a coaching feat in itself. Congrats for number 27!

Can't wait to go to the parade tomorrow!!! I'll have plenty of photos to share.

Hmm, I'll have to call my dad and see if we can scan the picture of Joe DiMaggio we took at the Yankees parade in 1996...

I'm a Pirates fan so it's hard to get enthused about it one way or the other. All I can hope is that climate change floods all our coastal cities and gets rid of the Yankees, Red Sox, etc. There might be hope for the Pirates in post-apocalyptic America. Or maybe not.

I'm a Pirates fan so it's hard to get enthused about it one way or the other. All I can hope is that climate change floods all our coastal cities and gets rid of the Yankees, Red Sox, etc. There might be hope for the Pirates in post-apocalyptic America. Or maybe not.

I visited Pittsburgh with my girlfriend in April (she lived there for about 8 years, and loves the city). We went to a Pirates game, and PNC Park is one of the most beautiful ballparks you could hope to see. It's a tragedy they can't get a decent team to play in it.

There might be hope for the Pirates in post-apocalyptic America. Or maybe not.

Not unless there's a salary cap (ESPN link) (and salary floor) in that post-apocalyptic baseball league.

MLB 2009 Payroll (from the ESPN Link above)

N.Y. Yankees $201,449,289
New York Mets 135,773,988
Chicago Cubs 135,050,000
Boston 122,696,000
Detroit 115,085,145
Los Angeles Angels 113,709,000
Philadelphia 113,004,048
Houston 102,996,415
Los Angeles Dodgers 100,458,101
Seattle 98,904,167

....17 other teams....

Pittsburgh 48,743,000
San Diego 42,796,700
Florida 36,814,000

Last edited:
It's nice to know that World Series titles can be bought granted you've got a few hundred million to throw away. What a sad day for baseball.

Congrats to Derek Jeter, at least they have one class act.

I don't know that it is a sad day for baseball, maybe for someone with Boston in their names but the Sox have had a pretty big payroll as of late as well. A lot of people complain about the Yankees payroll, but let's look at it another way. There are plenty of very cheap owners who use their team as a tax shelter and have money to pay players but don't because they don't care about the product that they put on the field. When the Marlins won their first World Series, they figured that it was "good enough" for the fans and had a fire sale on their talent in the off season.

The Yankees put their money where their mouth is and use money that they could pocket to put a quality product on the field. If the Yankees were a corporation (so to speak) and they invested their revenue into putting an even greater product out for consumers to buy we would be celebrating that fact.

The Yankees also have the "Core Four" who came up together and started the dynasty back in 1996, how many teams can say that in this era of free agency? Plus they have some great up and comers who weren't paid for help but were brought up through the system like Robinson Cano, Melky Cabrera, Nick Swisher, Joba and Phil Hughes.

Say what you will about some of the players who have been named on the Yankees as people who have taken steroids, but if you think you support a team that didn't have any players juicing then you are crazy. Their name just didn't come out.

Lastly, Derek Jeter is among a bunch of players with class on that team. Jorge Posada, Mariano Rivera, Hideki Matsui to name a few have never shown nothing but class.

Being a Mets fan in the same town as the Yankees is not easy. My warmest congradulations to George Steinbrenner and the entire 1st class organization. I finally after many years admire George Steinbrenner. There is something to be said about a man who wants to win for the fans and the city where they play. He backs it up with reinvesting into the team every year. Since he has owned the team they are nearly always in it. The real bad owners in baseball are the ones who take the luxury tax and never spend a dime on player development. The Mets and Cubs are some of the richer teams in the league and they cant seem to win. Watching the series and reading the local papers you saw how the players wanted to win it for George Steinbrenner one more time as a tribute to him.

I will be lucky enough to be at New York City's Hall on Friday welcoming the team after the ticker tape parade up the canyon of hero's as only New York City Can do. I will post pictures over the weekend.

Just to be clear I still wish it was a Mets celebration.

I don't know that it is a sad day for baseball, maybe for someone with Boston in their names but the Sox have had a pretty big payroll as of late as well. A lot of people complain about the Yankees payroll, but let's look at it another way.

Mike, you're right, there are a handful of teams with big budgets, the Red Sox included, but your analogy is erroneous, if you make 75% of my salary are you going to go around telling people we make the same money? I think not. The Yanks spend $50 Million Dollars more than anyone else. This is a very sad for baseball.

The Yankees have been one of, if not the, greatest sports organization of the last century.

What a pity that a bunch of sore losers can't even acknowledge what a great sesaon they had the day after they win the World Series in convincing fashion. Very unsporting, and very disappointing. I had thought more of the gentlemen that inhabit this forum.

It's not a surprise for the Yankees to win the World Series. They'd the best record out of 33 teams, so it's only fair that they won the WS.

As far as the Phlillies, they had great hitters, but they're lacking in the pitching department.

It's difficult to win when they only had 1 good pitcher, Lee, and the second best, P. Martinez, came out of retirement in July, but nothing to brag about.

Hamels is a looser, and should be punished for his attitude.

Congratulations Yankees :a5:

Last edited:
It's nice to know that World Series titles can be bought granted you've got a few hundred million to throw away. What a sad day for baseball.

Congrats to Derek Jeter, at least they have one class act.

Hello pot, my name is kettle and I'm from Boston where we don't buy talent and championships.

What a tired old argument. It's been 9 years since the Yankees have won anything. How many has Boston got in that time period?

If Boston had 50 million more to spend they would. The Redsox and Yankees both spend ridiculous amounts of money to buy championships and it is a shame when either of them win, but you cant hold it against them.

Congrats to the Yankees!

the yankees have been one of, if not the, greatest sports organization of the last century.

What a pity that a bunch of sore losers can't even acknowledge what a great sesaon they had the day after they win the world series in convincing fashion. Very unsporting, and very disappointing. I had thought more of the gentlemen that inhabit this forum.

+1

Congratulations Yankees on purchasing another world title. It's not hard to win championships when you can buy any player you want and no salary caps to enforce it. Most of their players are from outside the organization (even outside the country) and not home grown. It was funny to see everyone praising the organization last night after the win when there is no organization. Just spend and purchase titles wow what a great organization. Congratulations to the Phillies organization who won the world series last year and reached another one the following year. The Phillies do it with scouting, drafting, trading, and development not purchasing. Congratulations Phillies on a wonderful ORGANIZATION. I'm sure they will meet again next year but I have a feeling the Yankees are going to buy more players this offseason and end up with the same result.... another purchased world championship!

Congratulations Yankees on purchasing another world title. It's not hard to win championships when you can buy any player you want and no salary caps to enforce it. Most of their players are from outside the organization (even outside the country) and not home grown. It was funny to see everyone praising the organization last night after the win when there is no organization. Just spend and purchase titles wow what a great organization. Congratulations to the Phillies organization who won the world series last year and reached another one the following year. The Phillies do it with scouting, drafting, trading, and development not purchasing. Congratulations Phillies on a wonderful ORGANIZATION. I'm sure they will meet again next year but I have a feeling the Yankees are going to buy more players this offseason and end up with the same result.... another purchased world championship!

This is exactly the type of ignorance I was referring to in my previous post.

In no particular order: Derek Jeter, Joba Chamberlain, Robinson Cano, Andy Pettitte, Melky Cabrera, Jorge Posada, Mariano Rivera -- all home grown.

This is by no means a comprehensive list, just some of the more visible ones.

Now, what were you saying?

I was referring to the players who actually contributed to this championship (Damon, Matsui, Sabathia, Burnett, Teixeira, Rodriguez, who collectively made $111,400,000.00 alone this year!!!!!!!!). Wow, $111,400,000.00 for 6 players only in ONE YEAR! If that's not purchasing championships I don't know what is. The entire Phillies payroll is $111,209,000 less than the 6 Yankees players I mentioned above. Carlos Ruiz earns $475,000/year and J.A. Happ earns $405,000/year. That's earning championships not buying them.

This is exactly the type of ignorance I was referring to in my previous post.

In no particular order: Derek Jeter, Joba Chamberlain, Robinson Cano, Andy Pettitte, Melky Cabrera, Jorge Posada, Mariano Rivera -- all home grown.

This is by no means a comprehensive list, just some of the more visible ones.

Now, what were you saying?

I was referring to the players who actually contributed to this championship (Damon, Matsui, Sabathia, Burnett, Teixeira, Rodriguez, who collectively made $111,400,000.00 alone this year!!!!!!!!). Wow, $111,400,000.00 for 6 players only in ONE YEAR! If that's not purchasing championships I don't know what is. The entire Phillies payroll is $111,209,000 less than the 6 Yankees players I mentioned above. Carlos Ruiz earns $475,000/year and J.A. Happ earns $405,000/year. That's earning championships not buying them.

1. Are you saying that Jeter, Pettitte, Rivera, Posada (all of whom were also on the 1996 through 2000 teams), et al., didn't contribute to the Championship?

2. The Phillies didn't win the championship, the Yankees did.

:rolleyes:

How quickly you forget about championships. I was talking about Philly's championship last year. The players you mention weren't able to deliver for the last 9 years of which the Yankees had the highest payroll anyway. Bad return on investments. 1 championship in the last 9 years before yesterday. If the Yankees were on Wall Street, they would have needed a bailout for the reckless spending however the organization makes more than they spend so it doesn't matter if they don't win. Even if these players are home grown, It doesn't diminish the fact that they are getting paid what they are. I love Jeter and Rivera but the subject was not about them being home grown, it was about the Yankees purchasing championships which is exactly what they did. The Yankees invested 423,500,000.00 this past offseason alone to only 3 free agents. WOW!

1. Are you saying that Jeter, Pettitte, Rivera, Posada (all of whom were also on the 1996 through 2000 teams), et al., didn't contribute to the Championship?

2. The Phillies didn't win the championship, the Yankees did.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Top Bottom