What's new

Aftershave recommendation

Right now I only have 3 aftershaves in my rotation, Speick, Aqua Velva, and Mennen Skin Bracer. I'm looking for at least one more. I want something with two characteristics 1) it should have some good skin goodies in it like glycerin etc. more than just alcohol and fragrance. 2) it should be fairly long lasting. Does anyone have some good suggestions? Right now I'm thinking about Proraso, but I'm not sure that lasts very long. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.:smile:

Right now I only have 3 aftershaves in my rotation, Speick, Aqua Velva, and Mennen Skin Bracer. I'm looking for at least one more. I want something with two characteristics 1) it should have some good skin goodies in it like glycerin etc. more than just alcohol and fragrance. 2) it should be fairly long lasting. Does anyone have some good suggestions? Right now I'm thinking about Proraso, but I'm not sure that lasts very long. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.:smile:

Honestly: you can't go wrong with German Pitralon, if you like earthy scents. And it leaves your face smoother than ever. Musgo Real is another alternative.
And to answer your second question: it's true, Proraso doesn't last much. In any case, the AS with higher scent longetivity that I know is probably Alt Innsbruck; but that one doesn't score many points in the goodies department.

Honestly: you can't go wrong with German Pitralon, if you like earthy scents. And it leaves your face smoother than ever. Musgo Real is another alternative.
And to answer your second question: it's true, Proraso doesn't last much. In any case, the AS with higher scent longetivity that I know is probably Alt Innsbruck; but that one doesn't score many points in the goodies department.

Agreed on Musgo if you want goodies and a long-lasting scent. I don't have any experience with Pitralon or Alt Innsbruck.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
If I shave with Proraso pre/post, Proraso green cream, proraso AS balm (I didn't try the splash yet). I can smell the fragrance for a bit (2-3 hours). Then it's gone!

What about a Bay Rum? Masters has glycerin. If you are looking for natural you could go the whole Dominica route which doesn't contain glycerin but the bay oils are a pretty good skin food to me.

Proraso splash is great, but the fragrance doesn't last long. What about Alt Innsbruck? I like it a lot these days. I also think that you can't go wrong with something from Sue at SCS. Her after shave splashes work well and smell fantastic. I have Sandalwood and Savory Rose and am 100% pleased with both of them.

Another quick fix for your rotation would be AV Musk. It smells quite different from AV Ice Blue and it's nice when the weather gets colder.

Proraso splash is great, but the fragrance doesn't last long. What about Alt Innsbruck? I like it a lot these days. I also think that you can't go wrong with something from Sue at SCS. Her after shave splashes work well and smell fantastic. I have Sandalwood and Savory Rose and am 100% pleased with both of them.

Another quick fix for your rotation would be AV Musk. It smells quite different from AV Ice Blue and it's nice when the weather gets colder.

+1 for Saint Charles Shave products. I have samples of three of her splashes and they're all great. I have two "milks" on the way.

Your next move up to round out your rotation looks like Proraso, Musgo, SCS and Dominica. Then go for DR Harris, Alt Innsbruck, etc.

Pinaud. Clubman. Virgin. Island. Bay. Rum.

It really is hard to imagine not having some Pinaud. Bay Rum is fantastic and it's so reasonable. Clubman too. Such a classic. They might not be scientifically designed to care for your skin, but they are true classics. You don't have to wear them every day. If I were putting together a collection, I'd say spend the ten bucks and get these two great aftershaves. You won't regret it.

It really is hard to imagine not having some Pinaud. Bay Rum is fantastic and it's so reasonable. Clubman too. Such a classic. They might not be scientifically designed to care for your skin, but they are true classics. You don't have to wear them every day. If I were putting together a collection, I'd say spend the ten bucks and get these two great aftershaves. You won't regret it.

I actually wish the Clubman, or even the LV, had worked for me. It would be really nice to have 2 or more AS that are that reasonably priced. I'm just glad I finally got some Bay Rum, and now it has become my favorite.

So, of all the bay rums, you thing Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum is the best? My reaction to that is that I always thought Bay Rum was generally scented alcolol. . . . a great scent to be sure,. but lacking in skin goodies like glycerin. Perhaps I'm wrong. A second question about that product, doesn't it come in a plastic container? I know it seems superficial, but there is just something about plastic containers that turns me off. Look at the furor that took place on the B&B forum when it was thought Aqua Velva might put its Ice Blue into a plastic container. Sometimes, though, a product is so great that you just bite the bullet and get it even though it comes in plastic . . like Mennen Skin Bracer.

A big +1 on Musgo and German Pitralon. Packed with goodies and a lasting scent to boot!!:w00t:

Now, I would still advise you some Proraso Splash anyway, not the strongest scent for sure, but it does last for some time and the allantoin in it is just a bliss; very very soothing in combination with the cooling effect.

Another hint could be the Swiss Pitralon. Much harder to score, but it is reportedly very strongly scented and has amazing healing/soothing properties. Beware though, many report to have it hard coping with something smelling like a mixture of pears and kerosene but eventually cave in and praise the skin goodies... :lol:
Haven't tried it (yet:biggrin:) myself, though.

Hope this helped.
C_J

Call me crazy, I`d put a balm or milk into your rotation, maybe it`s just me but somehow I always feel better using a balm or milk than a straight clear or coloured (dyed) water thin aftershave lotion. Another idea would be to try a toner, like Witch hazel, before putting the lotion on yourself, I`ve started doing that and find it`s definitely a feel good sensation.

Stephen.

Last edited:

Of the bunch I have under my sink right now, I find that I keep going back to the Pinaud Clubman Classic Vanilla. It really isnt an overwhelming or sweet vanilla scent. It is very pleasant. Of all the scents I have for aftershaves, this is the only one SWMBO approves of. I wear the rest out of spite. :thumbup:

So, of all the bay rums, you thing Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum is the best? My reaction to that is that I always thought Bay Rum was generally scented alcolol. . . . a great scent to be sure,. but lacking in skin goodies like glycerin. Perhaps I'm wrong. A second question about that product, doesn't it come in a plastic container? I know it seems superficial, but there is just something about plastic containers that turns me off. Look at the furor that took place on the B&B forum when it was thought Aqua Velva might put its Ice Blue into a plastic container. Sometimes, though, a product is so great that you just bite the bullet and get it even though it comes in plastic . . like Mennen Skin Bracer.

So far I have only come in contact with three of the many Bay Rums, and yes I think Pinaud's is the best so far. To me PCVIBR contains everything a good aftershave should: burn, soothing & healing properties, and a great scent.

Yes, Pinaud's comes in a plastic bottle, but I deal with it. Eventually, I plan to either find a vintage glass bottle or just get a glass bottle that I will decant into. I also like Vi-Jon's Ivy Club Spice, and I decant it into a glass bottle since it only comes in a plastic bottle.

Top Bottom