What's new

Alum Block

I was reading a post last night about a kindred soul who was dealing with razor burn and someone mentioned an alum block. I've seen them mentioned before and I (think) I intuitively know what one is and what it's for thought I'd ask to be sure.

How and when do you use one?

Thanks,

B

I use a Alum Bloc after being recommended one by trumpers for razor burn. It seems to bring out the red in my neck, yet only stings when I apply it. I only noticed the redness an hour later when I looked in the mirror. I must also mention that I'm still new to DE shaving, so my technique is far from good.

Now I just lightly rub the Alum bloc over any cuts or weepers.

I've been using witch hazel after I get out of my cold water rinse in the shower. It seems to work pretty well, but I actually just ended up ordering an Alum Block the other day to test it out. I'm still very much a newbie and usually leave with a couple nics and weepers so I'm sure my Alum Block will give me quite a sting, but I've heard it works wonders and my technique is slowly improving.

Yep same here, after shaving rub all over my wet face, leavr for a minite or 2, pat dry and your done, marvellous.

The block is antiseptic and is good for so many other things. I use mine after every shave. Believe it or not once when I was traveling I used it on a cold sore. I had left my prescription med. home, and the alum block worked better than the prescription. I wouldn't be without one, and they'll last a good long time. :thumbup1:

One note - if you plan to followed up with an aftershave after using the alum block it is good to do a post alum rinse, otherwise you can gum up the works.

After I shave, I will;

1. Wash and dry my face
2. Wet my face a little with water from my hands
3. Rub the alum block over the wet bit of my face
4. Pack up all my stuff (usually a couple mins, during which time you will start ot feel the alum doing its thing and your face becoming a little itchy).
5. Rinse face with water and dry face
6. Apply whatever balm / skin food / etc you prefer
7. Apply after shave / cologne etc

I have found the combination of alum and a balm are the single best things for quickly dealing with any razor burn / redness etc (especially on my neck when I go to town occasionally on the stupid neck hair under my jawline).

I have an alum travel block from Em's Place and used it one time. I didn't rinse it off my face after, maybe I should have. If I do not nick myself I like aftershave splash. I find that I want to feel the aftershave burning sensation. --Bob

Thanks for all the responses guys. I appreciate it.

These things sound like little miracle blocks. :) I think I'm going to have to get me one.

As someone else said in a different thread, Em's Place ( http://www.emsplace.com/shaving/wet_shaving.aspx ) offers alum at very reasonable prices. Shipping was very quick. You may want to get a few other things to justify the shipping charges. Even if you buy only the small alum puck and pay shipping, it will still be less money than what other places charge for alum alone. --Bob

I don't have one, but I should probably get one for the occasional mishaps I experience. Anyone have a recommendation, or is one alum block just like another?

Just got an alum block and tried it after my shave. No cuts, but slight razor burn. Wetted block, ran it over my face, slight stinging where razor burn occurred - but only momentarily. Left it on for approximately 5 minutes and then washed it off with cool water. Applied some moisturizer. Will see if it is a magic stone.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I used one for a while and stopped using it since I moved to splashs AS...

Alum Block seems like an interesting alternative to the Witch Hazel I use post shave but pre AS for some shaves. More importantly, if it works well it seems as though it would be much cheaper in the long run in comparison to witch hazel.

Where do you guys usually pick yours up?

[I would highly recomend the alum block. Fendrihan or the art of shaving carry them. I dont even use after shave any more i just use the alum block and baxter of california oil free moisturizer.

Top Bottom