What's new

Not Stropping enough?

I'm a newbie to straight shaving. As some of you may have seen from another post, I just received my RupRazor and not having much success yet. I know it takes time and getting used to but my razor doesn't seem to be shaving any hair. I tried various angles and was told it requires more of a shallow angle. So my question is after trying various angles, is it possible I'm not stropping enough that would prevent the razor from shaving my hair? All the help is appreciated. Thanks.

Too little info.

How many shaves have you gotten out of the blade? How much stropping do you normally do? With what? What razor?

Just some starting questions, but the more info you provide, the better we can help.

I'm a newbie to straight shaving. As some of you may have seen from another post, I just received my RupRazor and not having much success yet. I know it takes time and getting used to but my razor doesn't seem to be shaving any hair. I tried various angles and was told it requires more of a shallow angle. So my question is after trying various angles, is it possible I'm not stropping enough that would prevent the razor from shaving my hair? All the help is appreciated. Thanks.

It's gotta be your angle. I just got mine and it cuts my steel wool beard well. The only thing I could think of is if he accidently shipped one right off the boat (very unlikely). I have to have almost no angle to cut mine, but I'm fairly new too. You may have rolled the edge stropping it? Hard to say. If you make adjustments and that doesn't work, he will re hone it for you free. I'm curious, will you shoot me a PM when you figure it out.

Too little info.

How many shaves have you gotten out of the blade? How much stropping do you normally do? With what? What razor?

Just some starting questions, but the more info you provide, the better we can help.

I purchased the starter razor from RupRazor with the RupStrop. I've only stropped twice prior to shaving and maybe 10 times before each of those shaves.

I purchased the starter razor from RupRazor with the RupStrop. I've only stropped twice prior to shaving and maybe 10 times before each of those shaves.

Let me get this right. After two shaves, the razor does not cut arm hairs.

That is beyond a "not enough stropping" problem. You could have been using a ridiculously high angle, thereby dragging the razor across your face and thus breaking off the edge. Literally.

That said...No clue. It did cut arm hairs when you first got it right?

Let me get this right. After two shaves, the razor does not cut arm hairs.

That is beyond a "not enough stropping" problem. You could have been using a ridiculously high angle, thereby dragging the razor across your face and thus breaking off the edge. Literally.

That said...No clue. It did cut arm hairs when you first got it right?

Yes, and I even tested it a few hours ago after those few shaves and it is cutting the hair off my arms

10 laps isnt enough. 50ish is where you should be aiming.

but if its not even cutting arm hairs, then stropping is the least of your worries

Can you shoot me a private message, I had to do something a little differently on the advise of a senior member and it helped me.

ohh, a secret tip!

why not share it here so that lots of people can learn from it?

My apologies, I don't want to get in a debate with everyone. I just want to tell this guy something that helped me. I told a guy across the street and because I didn't have 5000 posts a senior member proceeded to tell me how stupid I was. While I don't have thousands of posts, I know what worked for me. Sorry guys please forgive me for making this a "black ops mission".

Would the fact I've been understropping be a reason why I haven't really shaved any hair off my face? Ken from RupRazor told me I need to hold the angle of the blade at about 20 degrees for it to work and still struggling...

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I would say stropping is the issue and are you stretching the skin as much as you can to create a flat surface?

Try it on the back of your hand, keep your hand open where the skin isn't stretched and try to shave the hairs on the back of your hand. Then, close your fist and try again.

Top Bottom